EGU call for papers: GM 2.2 'Digital Landscapes'

EGU call for papers: GM 2.2 'Digital Landscapes'

John Hillier
Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce GM 2.2 the ‘Digital Landscapes’ session at EGU2012 (Vienna, 22-27 April 2012). Following a successful session last year, we look forward to seeing you at another dynamic, diverse and interesting session.

> GM 2.2 Digital Landscapes: Quantitative Interrogation and Use to Examine Geomorphic Processes

This inter-disciplinary session focuses on exciting quantitative uses of digital landscapes (DEM, DTM, DSM or point-cloud) to understand how the Earth’s surface is shaped.  Global (e.g. ASTER) to high-resolution (e.g. laser scanning, photogrammetry) data sets are welcomed as we believe developments will come through cross-fertilization of best practice and interesting method of analysis.  Possibilities (e.g. repeat surveys, real-time), problems (e.g. awkward case studies), solutions and interesting geomorphic uses from glacial processes to volcano formation are encouraged.

A full description of the session can be found at
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2012/session/9760

Deadline for Receipt of Abstracts: 17 January 2012

All the best

John, Paola, Susan, Paolo and David
(conveners)

p.s – Full session description below

This inter-disciplinary technical session will highlight developments driving innovation in the exciting uses of digital landscapes (DEM, DTM, or DSM) of the Earth, seafloor or planetary terrains. It aims to bring together ‘users’ analysing digital landscapes to exhibit the best methods and computational techniques, cross-fertilize best practice, and illustrate what can be achieved and what challenges remain. Possibilities (e.g. innovations), problems (e.g. awkward case studies), solutions and interesting geomorphic uses are encouraged.

We believe that objective, robust and reproducible quantitative methods underpin our ability to unlock the potential wealth of new insights into geomorphic processes recorded in DEMs.

Much interest is expected in high-resolution DEMs, but any data source (e.g. laser scanning, SAR, photogrammetry, satellite-derived) is welcome. Fusion between topographic data and other measurements is in scope.

In geomorphic processes we include both natural processes and those creating a human fingerprint in the landscape. Features identified or parameterised could include volcanoes, craters, gullies, fault scarps, drumlins, or those reflecting anthropogenic disturbances such as deforestation, new urban areas, or land-use change. Natural processes constrained could range from mass-wasting to volcano formation, and from flooding to sedimentary deposition.

We encourage early stage researchers to present their studies