EGU2018 - Clouds and precipitation in the Polar Regions: sources, processes and impacts session

EGU2018 - Clouds and precipitation in the Polar Regions: sources, processes and impacts session

Irina Gorodetskaya-2

Dear Colleagues (apologies for any cross-posting),

We would like to invite submission of abstracts to our session "Clouds and precipitation in the Polar Regions: sources, processes and impacts" at the 2018 EGU General Assembly (Vienna, 8‒13 April 2018): http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2018/session/26469

This session aims at bringing together researchers using observational (in-situ, aircraft, ground-based and satellite-based remote sensing) and/or modeling approaches to improve our understanding of polar tropospheric clouds, precipitation and related mechanisms. Contributions are invited on various relevant processes including drivers of the cloud microphysics at high latitudes, sources of cloud nuclei both at local and long range, linkages of polar clouds/precipitation to the moisture sources and transports, relationship to the large-scale and mesoscale atmospheric dynamics (including teleconnections), as well as the effects that the clouds/precipitation in the polar regions have on the polar and global climate system, surface mass balance and sea ice. Papers including new methodologies specific to polar regions are encouraged, such as improving polar cloud/precipitation parameterizations in atmospheric models and advancing observations of polar clouds and precipitation. This year we would like to emphasize observational and modeling activities planned within the Year of Polar Prediction (YOPP, www.polarprediction.net) and encourage related contributions.

Young scientist/student presentations are especially encouraged and we will reserve several oral units for such papers in our session.

The deadline for abstract submission is Wednesday, January 10th 2018 @1300CET.

The deadline for application for financial support is Friday, December 1st 2017.

https://egu2018.eu/roland_schlich_travel_support.html

Please forward this announcement to anyone who may have interest in the session. We look forward to receiving your contribution and seeing you in Vienna.

On behalf of the conveners,

Irina

Conveners: Irina Gorodetskaya,  Tom Lachlan-Cope , Nicole van Lipzig , Manfred Wendisch

--
Irina Gorodetskaya, PhD