EGU2020: Reconstructing paleo ice dynamics

EGU2020: Reconstructing paleo ice dynamics

Arjen Stroeven

L.S.

We would like to make the cryosphere and geomorphology communities aware of the joint session on

Reconstructing paleo ice dynamics: Comparing and combining field-based evidence and numerical modeling

At the EGU 2020 in Vienna (May 2-8).

Please consider submission of abstracts to this session, especially those that combine and contrast empirical constraints and numerical glacial and ice sheet modeling.

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2020/session/34926

Abstract:

Studies of ice extent, volume and dynamics during former glaciations are important for understanding past climates and evolution of the Earth’s surface, and also provide analogies for present-day ice sheets and their subglacial environments. This includes observations of glacial erosion, glacial transport and deposition of sediments, formation of fjords and their relation to ice streams, evidence for migration of ice divides, former locations of subglacial lakes, relations between high geothermal heat flow, basal ice melt and rapid ice flow, and other aspects of paleo glacier extent and behaviour. This session will bring together the interdisciplinary scientific community working on former ice covers from the perspectives of glacial geomorphology, quaternary geology, and numerical modeling. It will provide a forum in which field-based reconstructions and model-based simulations can be compared and contrasted. We particularly welcome contributions that shed light on ancient and more recent glaciations on Earth and their interaction with other components of the Earth System.

We hope to see many of you at EGU2020, and, indeed, at our session.

Jorge Bernales, Eef van Dongen, Irina Rogozhina, Arjen Stroeven & Lev Tarasov

Arjen P. Stroeven

Professor

Bolin Centre for Climate Research

Department of Physical Geography