EMS session - finalization

Renato R. Colucci
Dear all

We should finalize the session this week, because next week the
EMS-PSC will decide the final program of the conference. Let me first
thank you all of you for sharing ideas and comments and for helping me
in write down the structure of the introduction

We have an issue with the title, because potentially there is a
conflict with another proposed session in Copenhagen, please find
attached at the end the message from the PSC.

I guess that the suggestion given by the EMS to change the title in
something similar to "Cold region processes and the role of the
cryosphere in the global climate system" is reasonable.

I would suggest even something shorter like "the cryosphere in the
global climate system"

I'll appreciate your suggestion on this point
cheers
rrc

"Dear Renato,

The session program for this year's EMS conference is currently under
discussion (you may view the provisional program with all sessions
suggested under the conference web page). There is one point I would
like to discuss with you: We have a session on "Cold regions
meteorology and on the role of the cryosphere in the climate system"
in the EMS session program for quite some years, this session has been
organized by Renato and a team of co-conveners who were very engaged
last fall in tuning the session description and adjusting the convener
team. Now Timo and Lise-Lotte have proposed an additional session
named "Arctic and Antarctic Meteorology" in responding to the special
Arctic focus of this year's conference. I am a bit uncertain, whether
we should really have a session on "Cold regions meteorology" and
another one on "Arctic and Antarctic Meteorology",  I would assume the
Arctic and Antarctic belong to the cold regions and the two sessions
might fight for the same contributors. One option could thus be to
organize one session together. When reading the session descriptions I
see that there are different aspects where the focus is set on - this
may justify the two sessions. However, we should then probably rename
Renato's session a bit (in order to avoid the "cold regions
meteorology" vs. "Arctic meteorology" conflict), a suggestion could be
"Cold region processes and the role of the cryosphere in the global
climate system".

I would appreciate your comments on these thoughts, preferably this
week since the session program shall be finalized next week.
Renato, could you share this with your co-conveners?

Thanks a lot for your engagement,
Yours
Frank"

--
Renato R. Colucci, PhD
Climate and Paleoclimate Research Group

C3 - Cave's Cryosphere and Climate
http://www.c3project.net

Department of Earth System Sciences and Environmental Technology
ISMAR Trieste - CNR

Office:
Area Science Park - Basovizza
Q2 building, S.S.14 - km 163.5