EUCOP 2018 Session: Deep Permafrost

Jens Strauss

Dear colleagues,

We would like to encourage you to submit an abstract to our session #18 ‘Deep permafrost - From local to global influences’ at the 5th European Conference on Permafrost 2018, at Chamonix-Mont Blanc (France), 23 June to 1 July 2018. Besides established researchers we would like to encourage early career researchers to submit a contribution. A session description is attached below.

Abstract submission is open now; the deadline is 15 November 2017.

Please submit your extended abstracts (up to two A4 pages, max 5000 characters incl. spaces included with figures and references) at: https://eucop2018.sciencesconf.org/user/submit

We are very happy to announce our keynote speaker: Guido Grosse (Periglacial Research, Alfred Wegener Institute, Germany)

Please contact us if you have question on the session ([hidden email], [hidden email], [hidden email])

We are looking forward to receiving your abstract and to meet you in Chamonix next summer,

Jens, Gustaf, and Mathias

Session abstract:

Due to potential impacts and feedback mechanisms on the Earth system, deep ice-rich permafrost dynamics have become a focal point in sub-Arctic and Arctic research. For this session ‘deep’ includes permafrost from below the active layer down to approximately 50 m below surface. In these deposits, high ground-ice content (e.g. ice wedges and pore ice) and its associated vulnerability to surface subsidence may lead to landscape changes that impact local communities’ livelihood and infrastructure. In addition to local human-permafrost interaction, large stocks of thaw-vulnerable frozen organic matter in deep permafrost deposits are expected to have a key influence on the global permafrost-climate feedback. Thus, there is an urgent need to (1) enhance the understanding of deep permafrost thawing and degradation processes, and (2) combine physical and social sciences in permafrost research.

In this session, we aim to include studies about deep permafrost and its interactions with physical, ecological, and social- economic processes in a changing Arctic. This includes a variety of methods (e.g. sediment sampling, remote sensing, modelling, or community and traditional knowledge) and interdisciplinary studies on ground-ice origin, cryostratigraphy, modelling climatic sensitivity, mapping, paleopedology, and paleoclimatology for assessing local and regional impacts on northern communities, infrastructure, wildlife, as well as global influences like organic matter decomposition and release.

Dr. Jens Strauss

Periglacial Research Unit Potsdam, at the:

Alfred Wegener Institute Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research

postal: Telegrafenberg A43 | 14473 Potsdam | Germany

office: Building A45-108

phone: +49-(0)331-288-2185

fax:   +49-(0)331-288-2137

e-Mail: [hidden email]