EUCOP 2018 session 17 "Subsea permafrost dynamics"

EUCOP 2018 session 17 "Subsea permafrost dynamics"

MatteP
Dear colleagues,

we would like to draw your attention to the session #17Subsea permafrost dynamics’ at the upcoming 5th European Conference on Permafrost 2018, at Chamonix-Mont Blanc (France), 23 June to 1 July 2018. Besides established researchers we would like to encourage early career researchers to submit a contribution. A session description can be found below.

The deadline for submission of abstracts is 15 November 2017.

Please submit your extended abstracts (up to two A4 pages, max 5000 characters incl. spaces included with figures and references) at: https://eucop2018.sciencesconf.org/user/submit

We are looking forward to receiving your abstract and to meeting you in Chamonix next summer,

The conveners

Martin Stendel (Danish Meteorological Institute, Climate and Arctic Research, Copenhagen)

Paul Overduin (Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research, Potsdam)

Matteo Puglini (Max Planck Institute for Meteorology, Hamburg)

Session abstract:

Large regions of the Arctic Shelf are underlain by permafrost. This permafrost formed during previous glacial cycles when low sea levels exposed the coastal plains. The marine transgression that followed the Last Glacial Maximum (from about 18 to 5 ka before present) resulted in the present-day coastal shelf and its relict terrestrial permafrost. These permafrost sediments contain organic carbon and greenhouse gases, some in gas hydrate form. Cold temperatures stabilize gas hydrates and limit bacterial turnover, and low diffusivities associated with frozen sediment trap gas below and within the permafrost. The warming that followed transgression and that results from ongoing climate change may therefore release large amounts of greenhouse gases to the overlying shelf sea, sea ice and atmosphere if the subsea permafrost thaws. Recent publications have broadened our knowledge of the arctic shelves and permafrost distribution, but observations are rare and unevenly distributed, and our process understanding is incomplete. Modelling of subsea permafrost and its potential degradation have produced a wide range of results.

In this session, we invite  contributions that advance our understanding of the temporal evolution of subsea permafrost, both in past climates and under future climate change as well as contributions on observations of greenhouse gases and gas hydrates over the arctic shelves. Contributions are welcome that  advance the development of models of subsea permafrost, including their parameterizations. New observation techniques and treatment of archive observations, measurements of gas fluxes or gas concentrations and studies of past and future climate including degradation of submarine permafrost are also welcome.