EUCOP 2018 session 19: "Polar Coastlines in Transition: Arctic – Antarctic perspectives"

EUCOP 2018 session 19: "Polar Coastlines in Transition: Arctic – Antarctic perspectives"

Matt Strzelecki
Dear Colleagues,

We would like to announce session 19: “Polar Coastlines in Transition: Arctic - Antarctic Perspectives” at the 5th European Conference on Permafrost (EUCOP), in Chamonix-Mont Blanc, France, 23th June - 1st July 2018.

The deadline for abstract submission is approaching very fast: 15th November 2017

You can upload your abstracts at: https://eucop2018.sciencesconf.org/resource/page/id/12

This session invites submissions that will improve our understanding of polar (Arctic and Antarctic) coastal dynamics on local and regional scales.
Polar coastlines make up over one-third of the global total and are among the most dynamic in the world. Due to climate change, polar coastlines are increasingly vulnerable to rapid transformation.
Patterns of Arctic coastal change are mostly associated with decreased sea ice cover which is leaving coasts exposed to waves and storm action for longer each year. Additional influential factors include permafrost degradation, storm-surge flooding, and intensified sediment supply from glacierised catchments. These changes have wide-ranging impacts on circum-polar Arctic coastal communities through the destruction of culturally important sites and modern infrastructure.
In the Antarctic region accelerated deglaciation has led to the exposure of new coastlines where permafrost-related processes and fluxes of sediments from paraglacially transformed glacial landforms control coastal dynamics.

We encourage submissions focusing on both sub-aerial and sub-aqueous processes driving changes in coastal morphology, and are also interested in submissions which discuss rates of change and socio-economic impacts. The objective of our session will be to raise interest in the topic and provide a platform for discussions on various aspects of coastal change and its impact on the resilience of polar environments and societies.

We particularly encourage submission of contributions from members of ACD (Arctic Coastal Dynamics) and CACOON (Circum-Arctic Coastal Communities KnOwledge Network) groups.

Please feel free to contact any of the conveners for more information.

 Sincerely,

Matt Strzelecki; [hidden email]; University of Wroclaw, Poland
Louise Farquharson; [hidden email]; University of Alaska Fairbanks, USA
Boris Radosavljevic; [hidden email]; Alfred Wegener Institute, Potsdam, Germany
Vladislav Isaev; [hidden email];  Moscow State University, Russia

--
Dr Matt Strzelecki

Department of Geomorphology
University of Wroclaw, Poland