EUCOP 2018 session “Linking terrestrial and freshwater ecosystems in the Arctic”

EUCOP 2018 session “Linking terrestrial and freshwater ecosystems in the Arctic”

Michael Fritz
Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the session “Linking terrestrial
and freshwater ecosystems in the Arctic: Organic matter, nutrients and
pollutants and their lateral transport from permafrost-affected soils”
at the upcoming 5th European Conference on Permafrost 2018, at
Chamonix-Mont Blanc (France), 23 June – 1 July 2018. A session
description can be found below.

The deadline for abstract submission is approaching fast: 15 November 2017
Please submit your abstracts at:
https://eucop2018.sciencesconf.org/resource/page/id/12

Chairs: Michael Fritz (Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine
Research), Alevtina Evgrafova (University of Koblenz-Landau & University
of Bern), Jorien Vonk (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam),

We are very happy to announce our keynote speaker: Steve Kokelj
(Northwest Territories Geological Survey, Canada)

Session description:

Permafrost soils are expected to turn from a carbon sink into a carbon
source with projected climate warming. Pedogenic and hydrological
processes play a crucial role in determining the rate and type of
material released to the Arctic freshwater and marine ecosystems as a
result of permafrost thaw. Abrupt modes of permafrost degradation
(thermokarst, retrogressive thaw slumps and bank erosion of rivers,
lakes and coasts) are expected to lead to higher release rates of soil
organic carbon, nutrients, and toxins compared to the rates driven by
gradual permafrost degradation such as active layer deepening. In this
session, we welcome contributions that:
˗ Quantify the release of organic matter, nutrients and/or toxins from
permafrost-affected soils as well as from abrupt permafrost degradation;
˗ Estimate permafrost-affected soil properties and environmental
factors, such as soil moisture, plant productivity and species
composition, that regulate SOM stabilization and degradation processes;
˗ Measure the bioavailability and decomposability of newly available SOM
due to permafrost thaw;
˗ Present watershed budgets incorporating both terrestrial and aquatic
organic matter fluxes;
˗ Assess the biogeochemical fate of thermokarst-derived carbon,
nutrients and pollutants in watersheds and in the coastal zone;
˗ Investigate challenges pertaining to quantifying and mapping soil
properties and SOM transport in permafrost regions by taking into
account the spatial distribution and variability of soils.

We invite submissions that consider various biogeochemical tracers of
thaw, including bulk parameters (e.g. POC, DOC, DIC), nutrients, major
and trace elements, inorganic and organic pollutants, terrestrial
biomarkers and isotopic compositions.

We are looking forward to meet you in Chamonix!
Best wishes,

Michael Fritz
Alevtina Evgrafova
Jorien Vonk

EUCOP 2018 session “Remote sensing of permafrost landscapes”

Sabine Baumann
*** Sorry for cross-posting! ***

Dear colleagues,

we want to invite you to submit an abstract to our session 'Remote
sensing of permafrost landscapes' (Session 1) at the 5th European
Conference on
Permafrost 2018, at Chamonix-Mont Blanc (France), 23 June – 1 July 2018.
A session description can be found below.

Abstract submission is open, the deadline is 15 November 2017.
Please submit your abstracts at:
https://eucop2018.sciencesconf.org/resource/page/id/12

We are looking forward to your contribution,

Ingmar, Artem, and Sabine

Session description:
A better understanding of landscape change processes over multiple
spatial and temporal
scales is important for predicting the impacts of climate change on
permafrost terrains. For
the observation of the land surface over large areas remote sensing has
been proven to be a
very powerful method. With ever increasing computation capacities,
constantly growing
archives of image data spanning several decades, and new or continued
satellite
constellations, completely new opportunities arise for earth observation
applications.
Nevertheless, until now only indicators of permafrost can be monitored
from space and not
the permafrost itself. Therefore, the aim of this session is to show the
broad range of remote
sensing applications regarding polar permafrost. Contributions on recent
and upcoming
advances in satellite remote sensing to different sensors and
observation techniques are
welcome. As the application of remote sensing on permafrost is quite a
new field, we want to
show the potential of this technique for permafrost monitoring. We
encourage presentations
on multi-platform data as well as studies using ground validation data
and on remote sensing
methods for observing landscape change processes in permafrost regions.
This session will
aim to bring together the latest development in the field of earth
observation to improve the
understanding of the response of highly vulnerable permafrost landscapes
to rapidly
changing climate conditions.