EUCOP 2018 session "Thermokarst lake dynamics"

EUCOP 2018 session "Thermokarst lake dynamics"

Josefine Lenz

Dear colleagues

Another exciting EUCOP 2018 session is calling your attention!

We are pleased to announce our session (#10) “Thermokarst lake dynamics across multiple spatial and temporal scales” and encourage you to submit your extended abstract until 15 Nov 2017.

Our keynote speaker: Pascale Roy-Léveillee (Laurentian University, Canada), will kick off what promises to be a very exciting session!

Please contact us if you have any questions on the session.

We look forward to seeing you in Chamonix-Mont Blanc (France), 23 June to 1 July 2018!

Josefine Lenz ([hidden email])

Benjamin Jones  ([hidden email])

Frédéric Bouchard ([hidden email])

Session abstract:

Ice-rich permafrost degradation promotes thermokarst development and may lead to thermokarst lake initiation in vast arctic and boreal lowland regions. Potential impacts and feedback mechanisms on Arctic geomorphology, hydrology, ecology, biogeochemical cycles, energy-water balance, floral and faunal change as well as human interaction are complex. As thermokarst lakes are expected to play a key role in the permafrost-climate feedback loop, there is an urgent need

(1) to enhance the understanding of limnological, biogeochemical, physical and ecological processes and (2) to discuss their influence on the Earth system across a range of spatial and temporal scales.

This session highlights the role of thermokarst lake dynamics on Quaternary to modern time scales from local to global perspectives. We welcome contributions from field-based studies on lake sediments, gas measurements, monitoring programs, remote sensing, modelling, data synthesis approaches, and especially interdisciplinary efforts combining natural and social sciences in thermokarst lake research.

Dr. Josefine Lenz

Postdoc, ERC Peta-carb | Periglacial Research | AWI Potsdam

Affiliate Professor, Institute of Northern Engineering | University of Alaska Fairbanks

Alfred Wegener Institute (AWI) Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research

Telegrafenberg A43 | 14473 Potsdam | Germany

phone:  +49 (0)331 288-2185

e-mail: [hidden email]

https://www.awi.de/en/about-us/organisation/staff/josefine-lenz.html