EUCOP5 session Twenty years after the PACE-project: What do we know about the changing state of European permafrost?

EUCOP5 session Twenty years after the PACE-project: What do we know about the changing state of European permafrost?

Ketil Isaksen
Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the session "Twenty years after the PACE-project: What do we know about the changing state of European permafrost?" at the 5th European Conference on Permafrost (EUCOP5) that will be held in Chamonix-Mont Blanc, France, 23th June - 1st July 2018.

Abstract submission deadline is on 15 December 2017

Session Description:
PACE (Permafrost and Climate in Europe), the European Fourth Framework project that commenced in 1997, was a major stimulus for permafrost research and monitoring in Europe. This session marks 20 years since the start of the PACE-project and therefore focuses on the state of knowledge and progress made during these two last decades of European permafrost research related to geothermal and geophysical monitoring and modelling. We invite reports on individual studies or larger initiatives investigating the present state and long-term evolution of permafrost in Europe. We especially encourage contributions focusing on the thermal response and sensitivity of permafrost to climate change and extreme weather events, as well as joint modelling and monitoring approaches. We hereby hope that the session may enhance collaboration between the monitoring and modelling communities.

We look forward to seeing you in Chamonix in June 2018!

Ketil Isaksen (The Norwegian Meteorological Institute, Norway)
Christian Hauck (Department of Geosciences, University of Fribourg, Switzerland)
Sarah Marie Strand (The University Centre in Svalbard (UNIS), Svalbard)