Quantcast

EnviroSeis 6-9 June 2017 - Third Circular

EnviroSeis 6-9 June 2017 - Third Circular

Anne Schöpa
EnviroSeis: From process to signal – Advancing environmental seismology

A Galileo international workshop, 6-9 June 2017

In this workshop we aim to discuss the current use of seismic techniques in the study of the Earth’s surface and the processes that act upon it, a field that we collectively refer to as ‘Environmental Seismology’.

This workshop brings together scientists rooted in seismology, geomorphology, glaciology, hydrology or bridging such fields. Thus we would be delighted to fuse these fields and identify needs, challenges, research questions, and the techniques and study areas to tackle these questions.

The EnviroSeis workshop is explicitly focused on discussion and team work. We offer five keynote lectures across the width of the discipline: “geomorphic processes”, “seismic sources”, “seismic wave propagation”, “water and ice”, and “mass movements”. Participants have the chance to present short talks and posters. We will have a series of breakout groups that focus on revealing future research topics and bringing together knowledge. An additional field trip will take participants for two days into an alpine observatory, where a flavour of environmental seismology can be experienced live.

Become a part of this emerging group of enthusiastic scientists that touch new ground. Abstract submission is open until 13 March 2017. We expect two short documents (100 words each): i) a description of the work you wish to present and ii) a reasoning why you want to participate in the event. There is limited support for early career scientists. The current cost estimates for the workshop in Ohlstadt, southern Germany, are between 560 and 410 €, depending on room preferences and career status.

For further information and abstract submission, please see the EnviroSeis website: http://www.egu-galileo.eu/gc1-enviroseis/home.html

Kind regards,

Jens, Anne, Micha

Dr. Anne Schöpa
Section 5.1 Geomorphology
Building F, Room 427
Tel.: +49 (0)331/288-28828
Fax: +49 (0)331/288-1814
Helmholtz Centre Potsdam
GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences
Public Law Foundation State of Brandenburg
Telegrafenberg
D-14473 Potsdam
Germany