European Meteorological Society 2019 : Challenges of modelling and observing the climate and weather of Greenland

European Meteorological Society 2019 : Challenges of modelling and observing the climate and weather of Greenland

Ruth Mottram

Dear colleagues,

As you may know, this year the European Meteorological Society is holding their annual meeting in Copenhagen.

There is a special focus on Arctic Meteorology and many relevant sessions for those interested in Arctic climate and weather.

In particular we’d like to draw your attention to session OSA1.1:

The challenges of modelling and observing the climate and weather of Greenland  at EMS 2019, Copenhagen (Denmark)

Abstract submission is open until 12 April, 2019.

The high topographic relief of coastal Greenland; extreme weather; ocean and sea ice interactions and the presence of an ice sheet make weather and climate modelling in Greenland extremely challenging. Significant improvements in NWP and climate modelling have been made in recent years by focusing on cloud physics, precipitation schemes and surface snow schemes.

The development and deployment of new non-hydrostatic models at unprecedentedly high resolution is promising for improving forecasts of phenomena such as piteraqs and tip jets and improvements in precipitation distribution. A specific challenge is how best to incorporate and assimilate observations. We focus not just on operational weather forecasting, but on processes and observations relevant also for glaciology, hydrology, sea ice and permafrost processes as well as meteorology and climate reanalysis. We welcome contributions examining data assimilation. With increasing attention paid to Arctic climate change, we also welcome presentations on the challenges of communicating to stakeholders including the Greenlandic public, journalists and politicians.

Session details are available here:

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EMS2019/session/33720

We look very much forward to welcoming you to Copenhagen in September!

Best wishes

Dr Ruth Mottram

Climate Scientist/Klimaforsker

Research and Development