Expect highly negative mass balances for Alpine glaciers this year

Expect highly negative mass balances for Alpine glaciers this year

Roger Braithwaite

Greetings to Cryolisters interested in glacier mass balance!

I have not set foot on a glacier for several years but I keep a keen eye on the temperature anomalies on the excellent NASA/GISS website (https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/stdata/). The summer mean temperature anomalies (for June to August) at stations in and around the Alps are very highly positive relative to the 1961-90 ‘climatic normal period’. This makes me think that the current balance year 2016/7 will show highly negative mass balances for glaciers in the Alps.

I do not want to clutter everyone’s inbox with stuff that may only interest 5-10 of you. I therefore suggest that anyone who is interested should mail me directly and I will send you my explanation (2-page PDF) together with offprints of two recent paper.

Best wishes

Roger J. Braithwaite

School of Environmant, Education and Development *SEED)

University of Manchester

Office telephone Int + UK (0)161 275 7877

[hidden email]

Re: Expect highly negative mass balances for Alpine glaciers this year

Frank Paul

Hi Roger

Good to know that you are still following the developments! The massive mass loss this year (likely second after 2003) has already been in the news today (in german): http://www.srf.ch/meteo/meteo-news/ende-des-hydrologischen-jahres-unterschiedlich-nass-und-starker-gletscherschwund. They provide also some explanation (little winter snow, hot spring and early summer with massive snow melt) and estimate the loss to be about 3-4% of the total, which is about -1.5 to -2 m w.e. In Austria the situation should be a little bit less negative. I would be interested in your (remote) explanation.

With best regards, Frank