Faculty Position in Polar Science at Scripps

Faculty Position in Polar Science at Scripps

Helen Amanda Fricker-2

Scripps Institution of Oceanography is looking to hire an assistant, associate or full professor in polar science (see below). This is a great opportunity and I hope to see many of you apply to join us here.

Any questions, please contact me.

Best wishes - Helen

FACULTY POSITION AT SCRIPPS INSTITUTION OF OCEANOGRAPHY, UCSD

Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO) at the University of California San Diego (http://scripps.ucsd.edu) invites faculty applications for the position listed below. We seek a motivated, broad-thinking scientist-educator to establish a vigorous research program and provide intellectual leadership in their field while complementing existing expertise at Scripps, other UCSD departments, and nearby institutions. SIO is a world renowned center of marine research with approximately 200 principal investigators leading research programs on all aspects of earth, ocean, biological and atmospheric sciences. We are committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body. The department is interested in candidates who have demonstrated commitment to excellence by providing leadership in teaching, research or service towards building an equitable and diverse scholarly environment.

Polar Science: We seek outstanding candidates in Polar Science. Relevant research areas could include glaciology, oceanography, climate, biogeochemistry and and/or microbiology. We are particularly interested in individuals able to establish connections between more than one element of the polar system. Possible foci include land ice, sea ice, biogeochemistry, the carbon cycle, microbial processes, paleoclimate, subglacial processes (including biology) and high-latitude climate processes. Research approaches can include observations (field and remote sensing), modeling, genomics, and/or dynamics. SIO also has faculty openings in Observational Physical Oceanography, Earth and Planetary Sciences and Marine Physiology/Cell Biology at: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply.

The successful candidate will be expected to teach classes, supervise research at both the graduate and undergraduate level and contribute to leadership on issues of equity and diversity. The position requires a PhD degree in a relevant field and a competitive record of publication, as well as evidence of the ability to conduct and fund an active research program consistent with the opportunity to have done so at this career level. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the highest standards of scholarship and professional activity, or for junior scholars to have the potential thereof. Our strong preference is for hiring at the level of Assistant Professor, but appointments at all ranks (Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor, including Acting titles) may also be considered. Salary will depend on the experience of the successful applicant and will be based on the UCSD pay scales.

To apply by September 15, 2015 deadline, go to:
Assistant Professor at:
https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF00844
Associate/Full Professor at: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF00853
Current Assistant level candidates with a strong record of research and teaching are encouraged to submit materials through both links.

The University of California San Diego is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For applicants with interest in spousal/partner employment, please also see http://academicaffairs.ucsd.edu/aps/partneropp/index.html for the UCSD Partner Opportunities Program.

Helen Amanda Fricker
Professor
Scripps Institution of Oceanography

Fwd: Faculty Position in Polar Science at Scripps

Helen Amanda Fricker
Note also that there are open positions in oceanography and geophysics so if you are applying to this one it could be a good idea to apply to one of those as well.  Go to https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply and scroll down tSIO DEPARTMENT.

Thanks - Helen

--
Dr Helen Amanda Fricker
Professor