Faculty positions at Scripps Institution of Oceanography

Faculty positions at Scripps Institution of Oceanography

Helen Amanda Fricker-2
Please consider applying to SIO for one of the current open faculty positions.
Note that these advertisements are rather broad, and that SIO has a growing interest in polar research.
If you are not sure whether your expertise is a good match, please feel free to contact me.

Best wishes - Helen

Faculty Positions in Continental Margins and Coastal Environments

Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO) at UC San Diego (http://sio.ucsd.edu) is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body. SIO is a world renowned center of marine research with approximately 200 principal investigators leading research programs on all aspects of earth, ocean and atmospheric sciences.

Coastal Processes #10-439:  We seek outstanding candidates with complementary interests in the physical oceanography of the coastal environment.  Topics of interest are focused on the shelf, inner shelf, and near shore, including tidal inlets, estuaries, river mouths, beaches, and headlands.   Some examples of physical interest are: surf zone processes; surf zone-inner shelf exchange; sediment, chemical, and biological transport; waves (internal and surface); and coastal response to sea level changes or human activity.

Coastal Ecology #10-440:  We seek outstanding candidates with expertise in the biology and ecology of the coastal environment.  Areas of interest broadly include the interactions of marine organisms with one another and with their physical and chemical environment.  Research topics may include the ecology of benthic and pelagic organisms, ecological processes and regulatory mechanisms, population recruitment and connectivity, response to habitat changes and disruptions, bio(geo)chemistry and genomic adaptation. Research programs that integrate observational, experimental and modeling approaches in the field and laboratory are encouraged.

Geological, Geophysical and Geochemical Studies of Continental Margins #10-441:  We seek outstanding candidates from throughout the Earth sciences with complementary skills targeting continental margin development, evolution, and physical/chemical exchange across a variety of spatial and temporal scales. An emphasis on the marine portion of the system is envisioned, but candidates investigating onshore aspects of margin processes that cross the shoreline will also be considered. We encourage applicants whose research bears on key processes at margins, including geochemistry, geophysics, dynamics, seismology, tectonics, structural geology, geodesy, petrology, geochemical exchange (high- and low-temperature), geomorphology, glaciology, and ice-margin studies.

All successful candidates will be expected to teach classes, supervise research at both the graduate and undergraduate level and contribute to leadership on issues of equity and diversity. The positions require a PhD degree and a competitive record of publication, as well as evidence of the ability to conduct and fund an active research program consistent with the opportunity to have done so at this career level. The successful candidates will also have demonstrated the highest standards of scholarship and professional activity, or for junior scholars to have the potential thereof.  The department is interested in candidates who have demonstrated commitment to excellence by providing leadership in teaching, research or service towards building an equitable and diverse scholarly environment.

Our preference is for hiring at the level of assistant professor for all positions, however appointments at all ranks may also be considered.  Salary will depend on the experience of the successful applicant and will be based on the UCSD pay scales.  Completed applications received by October 15, 2012 will be assured of consideration.  Each position requires separate submission. All applications and related materials must be submitted electronically via Academic Personnel On-Line RECRUIT at: (https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu). Emailed applications will not be accepted. Applicants should provide a current CV, cover letter including descriptions of their teaching experience, research interests, state if authorized to work in the U.S., and the names of three potential referees, along with their complete institution address, email address, phone and fax numbers, and a separate personal statement summarizing past or potential contributions to diversity (see http://facultyequity.ucsd.edu/Faculty-Applicant-C2D-Info.asp and http://sio.ucsd.edu/Diversity/ for further information).  Questions about submission of applications may be addressed to Leslie Costi, ([hidden email]).

UCSD is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity.

On Aug 10, 2012, at 3:30 PM, Helen Amanda Fricker wrote:

Great, thanks Leslie.  Please could you send me the oceans & geo ads in plain text (in the body of an email) as I can't extract the relevant text from the Word version with my iPhone.  Thanks so much.  Helen

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 10, 2012, at 3:02 PM, Leslie Costi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Helen,

Thanks for letting me know your outreach efforts.  There is no meeting currently planned.  We hope to schedule something with the ADEO office in Sept since so many people are away from campus this month.

Leslie

On Aug 10, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Helen Amanda Fricker wrote:

Dear Leslie,

I am going to send this around cryolist (the listserv that goes out to all glaciologists) & Earth Science Women's Network.

When will the meeting be?  I am out of town for the rest of August.

Thanks - Helen

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 10, 2012, at 12:12 PM, Leslie Costi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Search Committees,

We have received approval on all three positions (Geo, Coastal Ecology, Coastal Processes) and have started our outside advertising campaign.  I will be submitting our attached combined ad to the following journals, websites, etc.

Science
Nature (print ad 8/16 and 9/6)
SACNAS online
Earthworks
SIO website
UCSD Academic Affairs website
EOS
Future Black Faculty Database
Limnology and Oceanography
The Oceanography Society online
The Chronicle
Association for Women in Science
IMDiversity.com
Bulletin of Meteorological Society
Marine Technology Society
European Geophysical Union
IEEE
New Scientist

Please pass our faculty positions along to anyone/anywhere you think will be fruitful.  If you do something substantial, please let me know so that I can document it for our outreach efforts.  I'm sure that Doug Bartlett and/or your search chair will be contacting you soon to go over preliminary information.  I am here to help throughout this process.  Have a good weekend!

Leslie

<2012adLAC.docx>