From Knowledge to Careers Workshop at the IPY 2012 Conference - Call for Applications and Mentors

Jenny Baeseman
Dear Early Career Scientists and Mentors

As you probably know, the IPY 2012 From Knowledge to Action Conferenceis the final event of International Polar Year 2007 - 2008, the largest international program of interdisciplinary polar research ever undertaken. The conference will provide an opportunity to apply and disseminate the knowledge and scientific results from IPY from around the world and focus on next steps. Participants will consider ways to translate those new understandings into policy that will guide activities in and enhance stewardship of the polar regions.

There will be many opportunities for early career researchers and mentors to get to know each other, share experiences, and develop collaborations. As part of these events, the Association of Polar Early Career Scientists (APECS) and the ArcticNet Student Association (ASA) are teaming up to provide what is sure to be a very valuable experience, the "From Knowledge to Careers" workshop before the start of the IPY 2012 "From Knowledge to Action“ Conference in Montreal on April 21 and 22, 2012.

The application for the workshop is now open and can be found at: http://apecs.is/workshops/montreal2012. We have set a preliminary agenda for you to see what types of things we will be covering - and we are looking for some great mentors to take part. If you are interested in participating as a mentor, please contact the workshop chairs: Kimberley Keats < [hidden email]> and Karley Campbell < [hidden email]>.

We look forward to seeing you in Montreal - and don't forget these important deadlines:

Conference abstract submission deadline: 30 September 2011
Travel and Accommodation Award Applications deadline: 30 September 2011
Workshop application deadline: 31 October 2011
--- note the workshop application is combined with the travel application - so you can fill them both out at the same time... saving you some extra effort :)

The "From Knowledge to Careers" Workshop Organizers:

Kimberley Keats, Karley Campbell, Marc Cadieux, Emily Choy, Brent Else, Dan Nguyen, Jennifer Provencher, Xin Yuan, Gerlis Fugmann and Jenny Baeseman

"Shaping the Future of Polar Research"
- - -

Dr. Jenny Baeseman
Director - Association of Polar Early Career Scientists (APECS)
University of Tromsø
Central Administration B357
NO- 9037 Tromsø, Norway
Mobile: +47 4821 8095
Calling from the US, use 1-715-203-0072 (just like a regular long distance call within the States)
skype: jbaeseman