Funded PhD project opportunities

anna hogg

Dear Cryolist,

The NERC funded SENSE Centre for Doctoral Training, is currently advertising 37 fantastic funded PhD opportunities. Many of these projects are focussed on important Polar and cryosphere science topics which may be of interest to you.

For all projects the key facts are:

  • Application deadline: 10th January 2021
  • Eligibility: UK and International applicants are welcome
  • Funding status: At least 16 fully funded PhD studentships will be awarded
  • How to apply: https://eo-cdt.org/step-by-step-application-process/
  • Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: SENSE is committed to improving equality, diversity and inclusion in the scientific community, and therefore we strongly welcome applications from a diverse range of backgrounds. To find out more about the practical steps we are taking to improve our PhD recruitment process, please see this link: https://eo-cdt.org/edi/recruitment-best-practices/
  • PhD Application Support: Well, 2020 hasn’t been a normal year! As it may be more difficult for you to access support and guidance from your academic mentors this year, we invite you to join us for a couple of helpful webinars this November.
    • How can a PhD help me with my career? – Tue 17th November 3pm
    • Support for applying for a PhD – Wed 25th November at 2pm
    • Please feel free to make use of these materials whether you are applying for a SENSE PhD, or an opportunity with a different organisation.
    • Keep up to date with our many other activities by following us on Twitter @EoCdt

The future behaviour of glaciers in High Mountain Asia in response to climate warming. Academic Supervisors: Dr Daniel Goldberg, Dr Amaury Dehecq, Dr Fanny Brun, Dr Noel Gourmelen, Dr. Hamish Pritchard, Prof Andrew Curtis. Link: https://eo-cdt.org/projects/the-future-behaviour-of-glaciers-in-high-mountain-asia-in-response-to-climate-warming/

Investigating the potential for catastrophic collapse of Greenland’s ‘land’-terminating glacier margins. Academic Supervisors: Peter Nienow, Andrew Sole, Daniel Goldberg, Malcolm McMillan, Ruth Mottram, Anna Hogg. Link: https://eo-cdt.org/projects/investigating-the-potential-for-catastrophic-collapse-of-greenlands-land-terminating-glacier-margins/

Seasonal flow variability as an indicator of mountain glacier basal conditions. Academic Supervisors: Professor Duncan Quincey, Dr Noel Gourmelen, Dr. Francesca Pellicciotti, Dr. John Elliott. Link: https://eo-cdt.org/projects/seasonal-flow-variability-as-an-indicator-of-mountain-glacier-basal-conditions/

Ice Sheet – ocean interactions: Using satellite data to understand ice dynamic change. Academic Supervisors: Anna Hogg, Pierre Dutrieux, Adrian Jenkins, He Wang. Link: https://eo-cdt.org/projects/ice-sheet-ocean-interactions-using-satellite-data-to-understand-ice-dynamic-change/

Understanding the role of Antarctic sea ice in dense water formation and heat and carbon sequestration: from satellite altimetry to ‘big data’ analysis. Academic Supervisors: Alice Marzocchi, Alberto Naveira Garabato, Andrew Meijers, Onno Bokhove, Rachel Tilling, Anna Hogg, Steven Tobias. Link: https://eo-cdt.org/projects/understanding-the-role-of-antarctic-sea-ice-in-dense-water-formation-and-heat-and-carbon-sequestration-from-satellite-altimetry-to-big-data-analysis/

Best wishes,

Dr Anna E. Hogg

Co-director NERC SENSE CTD