Fw: photo rescue project

matt_nolan_uaf-2
Dear Cryolist,

I've got some good news and a few requests.

The good news is that last week I got an award letter from NSF funding a substantial part of a data rescue project to make high resolution photogrammetric-quality scans of the USGS' North American Glacier photography collection at UAF, featuring approximately 100,000 large format negatives (still on 7"-9" rolls) taken from roughly 1960-1995 primarily by Austin Post, Larry Mayo, and Bob Krimmel.  My thanks to all of you who helped me demonstrate community support for the project, as well as to those who had the vision and nerve to acquire the photos in the first place.  When I told Austin about the award, he modestly said that most of his images probably weren't worth saving, but I think he's happy to know that there's good hope for new uses for the rest of them in the future.

The requests:
- If you have imagery or data rescue efforts that might be related to this collection, please contact me directly if you'd like to coordinate further, I'm all for not duplicating any efforts.  And considering that I've never undertaken a project like this before, I'd be happy to hear from anyone that has related experiences or wisdom to share.

- If you've got a glacier project ongoing now that might have need of some of this imagery, I'm happy to prioritize.  Given that my summer field work is starting up soon and the photogrammetric scanner has some lead time to acquire, I doubt I'll make much progress before fall.  In any case, I plan on sharing everything in near real-time, and I'll send out a link once I've got that figured out and am making progress.

I included an older email below that has links to related existing resources I knew of 16 months ago shortly before I submitted the proposal; I haven't tracked progress or thought much about the project since then until last week...

Cheers,
Matt

Matt Nolan
Research Associate Professor