Fwd: Letter to The Times (from glaciologists at the Scott Polar Research Institute)

Fwd: Letter to The Times (from glaciologists at the Scott Polar Research Institute)

Liz Morris
We share your concern and have just sent this letter to the Times...Liz

--
Work Tel: +44 (0)1223 336568
From: Poul Christoffersen <[hidden email]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:46:11 +0100

Dear Editors,

A media release related to the publication of the 13th edition of The
Times Comprehensive Atlas of the World erroneously  claim that the
Greenland Ice Sheet has lost 15% of its ice cover since publication
of the last atlas 12 years ago.

The press release is making headline news around the world:

http://news.uk.msn.com/environment/atlas-shows-warming-of-the-earth-6
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/sep/15/new-atlas-climate-
change
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/new-atlas-reveals-
change
s-to-earth-due-to-global-warming-climate-change/story-
e6freuyi-1226138131986
http://www.scotsman.com/news/Changing-climate-mapped-out-.6836552.jp
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/world/875483-new-times-atlas-reveals-
changes-to-
earth
http://uk.ibtimes.com/articles/214234/20110915/new-atlas-map-shows-
extent-of
-global-warming.htm

A group of glaciologists at the Scott Polar Research Institute
believes it is prudent and urgent to correct this mistake.

We hope you will consider printing the attached letter in either The
Times or The Sunday Times. The letter is accompanied by a figure,
which clearly demonstrates the error in the Atlas.

Your sincerely,

Poul Christoffersen

Dr. Poul Christoffersen
Scott Polar Research Institute