GPS Discussion

King, Edward C.
At British Antarctic Survey the field glaciologists have been using
Leica 1200 series for some years now, replacing Trimble 4000 series
receivers.  We have had few problems with the hardware, even though we
drag the receivers around (>1500 km per season) on pulk sledges for
radar applications which gives them a hard time physically.  The user
interface is complex for inexperienced users but tailoring
configurations for specific tasks can help reduce errors.  Our surveyors
use Trimble 5700 receivers with success but we have had problems with
this model in long-term static situations because of the need to have a
specific voltage level available (>12.5V) before they will restart after
a power-out.
For processing we use a number of approaches depending on the task and
the skill level of the scientist involved.  We use the commercial
software, the Canadian Geodetic service web-based post-processor and the
academic software.

Ed King
Senior Geophysicist
BAS

Re: GPS Discussion

Andrew Mercer
The battery voltage issue has come up when using Trimble R7s on
Greenland. It seems to be more of an issue for the GPS model rather than
GNSS model, though I am not personally involved in that project so I
cannot say for certain.

The Leica 1200 series also has the advantage of using readily available
batteries (ie camcorder batteries) if I'm not mistaken.

Andrew Mercer

Stockholm University
INK
tel: +46 (0)8 164959