Gap in Polar Altimetry

Andrew Shepherd

Dear Cryolist

We have prepared a community letter of concern regarding the imminent gap in satellite polar altimetry, which is likely to occur in the latter half of this decade.

The aim of this letter is to raise awareness of the situation with sufficient time for agencies to make preparations for mitigating the gap with some alternative provision.

For the letter to have impact, it needs to have broad community support. We are therefore writing to ask for your support by adding your signatures to the letter, which you can find here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-1CKh4iWVawijEcWfYvf76Cm2dTQnDn7HkL5oNJDSfM/edit?usp=sharing

We need to close the first round of signatures on Monday 16th November, so please sign before then if you are intending to. The letter text is locked, but the signatures page is editable.

All the best

Sara Fleury, Andy Shepherd, Bert Wouters, Angelika Humbert, John Yackel, Mal McMillan, and Sinead Farrell

Re: Gap in Polar Altimetry

Ute Herzfeld

 Hi Andy, Sinead, hi all,

thanks for taking the initiative to write this letter. I agree that the gap in altimetry is not a good thing to have.

But may I ask a couple questions:

1) What is the opportunity that you need this signed community letter for, that happens on Monday, November 16, 2020?

2) What is the reason that this opportunity was not foreseeable, thus allowing better planning for a community letter?

Best regards,

Ute
 Ute C. Herzfeld
 Geomathematics, Remote Sensing and Cryospheric Sciences
 Research Professor, Department of Electrical, Computer and Energy Engineering
 Senior Research Scientist, Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences
 University of Colorado Boulder
 Boulder, CO 80309-0574 USA

 fon +1-303-492-9066

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 1:50 AM Andrew Shepherd <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

For posting guidelines, see http://secure-web.cisco.com/1eQ5ABCiaR2sdFiRzDPKdYeBcTqLysLFEwE3n_8daoxzxMhjadr37oxqeR1Y8GbFXYzo4NTagGOmHI6TKbILjVPl53MP1KHNBlUa-LADR5DvvhmRrQPPwPlfzbfrgJbKsRAsV4SmrgYYBqJxe3TBoJ5kbeFLtLV8O-vZlQa8U2lLLInU2n5p4DUI4-1dq7UJNQOXybBHXcvYMOANeexB1qYMlD5dh3qyMvAFZZv9YbsIje9galZSzPQsUB44mTkFB1BcqTf6b8ckeh1iuTSIxapYw7-jU3P7yKlmTS5AYwPgMQtLMr-GxNYdeaHJKS1nXuhx-ubJT1QJ7RsCymMWs38ltOP1Asg4fDJRftN_Dq7ca6_-fs4IFIlfOXdQ5tYHhhiCBG588eASpwF1KyCOZLBYtcheQ0sZkrgyTZ7v72yO0_RBaAhn6o7FUI6G1i1svz6rJzFJJeHhLy3GIT3nBUQ/http%3A%2F%2Fcryolist.org%2Fposting.html
To unsubscribe, see http://secure-web.cisco.com/1daYfi5nEp3quqISYIyVaOG7iFWLwbhJvCDa14enTny74BN9IPgWKVQx5JnJZvWpZ22SpD475Ksu0JDeHez0B0LW9_Cjw9OlAxwx-tZ9hf_9yjNDad2YcyhWwat8AhRcoYRCa57r1d6Y2CKu-ME-XUX22QxZYWgAqQVws9tPgFWxD1yEF7Fc7t3yeNTycGOlai95NMjf2j6MY0NNpbwRpeYV1FFsAYQPDJgFx9W30ddXFbU1aYEHPY1z656KEcHhUh4KNgFAJRSSQFP7wQAwvhnN5ZUoFKT35JLMY7CfiEiGLQrKz2mIY3u0bIFOMbxHZUlmbhqlWYzb7a63unmOuqvzCGRaX6YICpf8vQ2Ktw3krH2Rfd_TWvzsGGr64CWBplLIi-q8YcT538XBLhLCqgMT_xZpFJqOLQgWxRRb8kaY16CoO_iKTJTv4249rBH-UZC3NkrEYB3KuH4DLRSeGkA/http%3A%2F%2Fcryolist.org%2Funsubscribe.html

Re: Gap in Polar Altimetry

Andrew Shepherd
Hi Ute

We are hoping to pass on the community letter to an EU expert group, who are preparing a report on user needs for their candidate satellite missions including CRISTAL. It was brought to our attention very recently that their report is in its final stages of preparation, and so we decided to try and act quickly to alert them to the gap as it is not widely known.

Despite the very short notice and weekend mailshot, the response from Cryolist has been amazimg, and we are extremely grateful for the support of everyone who has signed so far!

I am sure there will be other opportunities for us to present the letter of concern o er the coming years, and so we will keep it alive as a google doc for that reason.

Best regards

Andy

Sent from my iPad

On 14 Nov 2020, at 18:52, Ute Herzfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:

Apologies - I may have to use my gmail as sender. Ute