Geochemical approaches to reconstructing ice sheet history: session at Goldschmidt 2012, Montreal

Geochemical approaches to reconstructing ice sheet history: session at Goldschmidt 2012, Montreal

Alberto Reyes
Dear colleagues,

With apologies for cross-listing, please note the following session at the upcoming Goldschmidt Conference in Montreal, Canada (24-29 June 2012). Abstracts are being accepted until 1 February. Additional details on registration and the scientific program are available here.

We particularly encourage students to consider presenting their research at the Goldschmidt Conference. Travel grants are available to student presenters.

Sincerely,
Alberto Reyes & Anders Carlson

Session 10e: Geochemical approaches to reconstructing ice sheet history: modern processes and paleo-perspectives

Co-conveners:
Alberto Reyes (University of Wisconsin-Madison) - avreyes2atwisc.edu
Anders Carlson (University of Wisconsin-Madison) - acarlsonatgeology.wisc.edu

Knowledge of the past behavior of ice sheets is critical to understanding linkages between climate change, ice dynamics, and sea level. However, ice sheets remove much of their previous geologic record during advance, complicating reconstructing their history beyond the last deglaciation. In this session we bring together scientists using a variety of geochemical approaches, coupled to sedimentary records of glaciation in till and marine/lacustrine sediments, to understand past behavior of ice-sheets. We welcome equally contributions dealing with geochemical investigation of modern processes that link glacial sediments or meltwater to more distal locations, and applications of similar methods to the paleo-record of ice sheet activity.