Glacier recession in the European Alps

Jürg Alean
Hello all

May we bring to your attention various new photo galleries documenting rapid glacier recession in the European Alps and some related phenomena?

Continued rapid recession of Rhonegletscher has led to considerable growth of the new glacial lake:
http://www.glaciers-online.net/alps/rhonegletscher/overview_2012-en.html

New imagery has been added showing the separation of "Unders and Obers Ischmeer", both formerly tributaries of the Unterer Grindelwaldgletscher:
http://www.glaciers-online.net/alps/unterer-grindelwaldgletscher/unders_obers_ischmeer-en.html

Various new repeat photographs of Vadret da Morteratsch show changes within approximately one century:
http://www.glaciers-online.net/morteratsch/repeat_photos_1972_2012/index-en.html

The occurrence of thousands of glacier fleas on Vadret da Morteratsch surprised us in October 2012 - scroll down to meet the fleas ;-)
http://www.glaciers-online.net/morteratsch/2011-2012/index-en.html

Although they are not real glaciers, we added some photos of a two ice caves, one in the Swiss Jura mountains
http://www.glaciers-online.net/ice/glaciere_de_monlesi/index-en.html
and the other in northern Slovakia:
http://www.glaciers-online.net/ice/dobsinska_ladova_jaskyna/index-en.html

Dr. Michael Hambrey
Centre for Glaciology in the Institute of Geography & Earth Science at Aberystwyth University, Wales, UK
Dr. Juerg Alean
Kantonsschule Zuercher Unterland, Buelach, Switzerland