Goldschmidt session announcement 'Geobiology and geochemistry of the cryosphere: processes, pathways, and drivers'

Goldschmidt session announcement 'Geobiology and geochemistry of the cryosphere: processes, pathways, and drivers'

Steffi Lutz

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to a session we are organizing at the Goldschmidt conference, which will be held in Paris from 13th to 18th of August 2017:

Session 15g ‘Geobiology and geochemistry of the cryosphere: processes, pathways, and drivers’
https://goldschmidt.info/2017/program/programViewThemes

Session description: Dramatic changes currently underway in the polar cryosphere are expected to accelerate in a warmer world. In recent years the cryosphere has been recognized as a biome dominated by microorganisms of all three domains of life, playing crucial roles in geochemical and biogeochemical processes both on a local and global scale today and in the past. In order to make predictions of how geochemical, microbial and ecological patterns will change, it is important to identify the geochemical, microbial and biogeochemical processes, pathways and drivers in this system. We invite contributions that study the geobiology and geochemistry of the cryosphere and that could include studies of freshwater (glaciers, ice sheets, snowfields, subglacial lakes), salt water (including sea ice) and soil (permafrost) environments.

Keynote speaker: Prof. Liane G. Benning, GFZ German Reserach Centre for Geosciences and University of Leeds, http://www.gfz-potsdam.de/en/section/interface-geochemistry/staff/profil/liane-g-benning/

Abstracts for presentations can be submitted through the following website: https://goldschmidt.info/2017/abstracts (deadline 1st of April, 2017)

We are looking forward to seeing you in Paris,

Lori Ziolkowski, Catherine Larose, Alexandre Anesio, Stefanie Lutz

--
Dr. Stefanie Lutz
Postdoctoral research associate

GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences
Section 4.4: Interface Geochemistry
Helmholtz Centre Potsdam
Telegrafenberg
14473 Potsdam