Goldschmidt2019, Barcelona, session "Carbon Cycle" 18-23 August

Goldschmidt2019, Barcelona, session "Carbon Cycle" 18-23 August

gkuhn
Dear all,

We would like to promote our session at the Goldschmidt2019 in Barcelona, Spain, https://goldschmidt.info/2019/

session 08j: Dynamics and Fluxes of the Exogenic Carbon Cycle and Interactions with Biogeochemical Cycling

Conveners: Gerhard Kuhn, Norbert Frank, Thomas Chalk, William Gray

Keynote speaker: Robert (Bob) Anderson (LDEO - Columbia Univ.) about: "Deep-sea oxygen depletion and ocean carbon sequestration during the last ice age“, including a few words of honour about Wally Broecker.

Abstract deadline is March 29, 2019

Grant Program Application Deadline for Ph.D. Student and Early Career Funding is March 15, 2019

session 08j: Dynamics and Fluxes of the Exogenic Carbon Cycle and Interactions with Biogeochemical Cycling

Earth’s climate is strongly regulated by the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere on a number of different timescales. There are many archives and proxies which record both direct and indirect evidence of the concentration and movement of carbon between surficial reservoirs (atmosphere, biosphere, oceans and sediments) and these can expand our knowledge into the past. Furthermore, climate models rely on accurate information from carbon reservoirs to reconstruct our past and predict our future climate states. This session aims to gather researchers who work on reconstructing CO2 and/or its movements between reservoirs to narrow down on the primary mechanisms of climate change on geological timescales, as well as divining our near future (glacial CO2 changes, processes of long-term CO2 drawdown and release, and major climate transitions). Submissions interrogating the nature of orbital scale climate variability from any period are strongly encouraged as well as those looking at future processes of carbon regulation and uptake.

We look forward to seeing you in Barcelona!
Cheers

Gerhard, Norbert, Thomas and William

_____________________________
Alfred-Wegener-Institut Helmholtz-Zentrum
für Polar- und Meeresforschung

Dr. Gerhard Kuhn
Senior Research Scientist
Marine Geology