Graduate Research Assistantship in Cosmogenic Nuclide Dating of Isthmian Glacial Advances

Graduate Research Assistantship in Cosmogenic Nuclide Dating of Isthmian Glacial Advances

Li, Yingkui

Dear all, with apologies for cross-posting,

Graduate Research Assistantship in Cosmogenic Nuclide Dating of Isthmian Glacial Advances

We invite prospective M.S. and Ph.D. students to apply for a graduate research assistantship in cosmogenic nuclide dating in the Department of Geography at the University of Tennessee.  The GRAship is funded by an NSF grant to Yingkui Li and Sally Horn for a project to develop a chronology of glacial advances in Costa Rica using cosmogenic nuclide surface exposure dating (primarily 36Cl).  Our project grows from previous research by Ken Orvis, Sally Horn, and others on the glaciation of the Cordillera de Talamanca, a key location in the isthmian region of the American Cordillera (see Quaternary Research 54: 24–37 and included references).

We are looking for a highly motivated student with a background in physical geography, geology, or related area who could ideally start in our graduate program and on our project in January 2013.  Funding on the NSF grant is available for two years, after which time students can apply for support as teaching assistants or teaching associates, or as research assistants on other funded projects.  The GRAship includes a salary of $21,600/year plus tuition and health benefits.  While the GRAship focuses on laboratory analyses of samples in hand, opportunities may exist for related field work in Costa Rica or the Tibetan plateau.

We are particularly interested in students who are excited about studying glacier dynamics and climate change and are interested in learning cosmogenic nuclide techniques.  We prefer to recruit a student who can work independently and who already has some relevant field and/or laboratory experience.  Interested candidates should contact Yingkui Li ([hidden email]) or Sally Horn ([hidden email]) and begin the process of applying for admission to the graduate program in Geography, following instructions here: http://web.utk.edu/~utkgeog/grad.htm. Additional information on our department is available here: http://web.utk.edu/~utkgeog/.

Yingkui

Yingkui Li, PhD

Associate Professor

Department of Geography