Greenland Ice Ocean Observing System: AGU Discussion of Workshop Outcomes

Greenland Ice Ocean Observing System: AGU Discussion of Workshop Outcomes

Fiammetta Straneo
The establishment a Greenland Ice Sheet Ocean Observing System (GrIOOS) was discussed at a workshop held in San Francisco, in December 2015. The goal of GrIOOS is to provide concurrent and long-term records of glaciological, oceanographic and atmospheric parameters at the ice sheet margins that will improve understanding of the heat, nutrients and freshwater exchanges, between the ice sheet and the ocean, and of the impact of such exchanges on the glaciers, sea-ice, the ocean and the marine ecosystem. The workshop, funded by SEARCH-NSF, CliC and the US Arctic Research Commission, was attended by ~50 international participants representing the wide range of disciplines involved.

We invite you to a presentation summarizing discussions held, and conclusions reached, at that workshop at the AGU Fall Meeting on: Monday December 11th 12:30 to 1:30 pm at:

Riverside I Room (2nd floor) – ARCUS Room

Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans-Convention Center
1201 Convention Center Blvd., New Orleans

A draft of the workshop report can be found at:   https://www.dropbox.com/s/uket3rrg7s2svw0/GrIOOS_Report_draft.pdf?dl=0
Comments on the report are welcome either via email to [hidden email] or in person at the AGU presentation.

We will have food at the AGU presentation. Please RSVP to [hidden email] by December 5th so we can get a rough head count.

Fiamma Straneo

Fiamma Straneo, Professor
Climate, Atmospheric Science & Physical Oceanography
Scripps Institution of Oceanography
UCSD 0206
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0206