IACS - call for symposia topics at IUGG 2019, Montreal - respond by October 31st

IACS - call for symposia topics at IUGG 2019, Montreal - respond by October 31st

Andrew Mackintosh

Dear all,

The International Association of Cryospheric Sciences (http://www.cryosphericsciences.org) will hold its next scientific meeting as part of the 2019 International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG http://www.iugg.org) General Assembly. The assembly will be held in the lovely city of Montreal, Canada during mid summer between 9-16 July, 2019.

We hope that this will be a great meeting for the cryospheric sciences, but we need your help to make it a success. This email is a first call for symposia topics at the 2019 assembly. At this stage, we are looking to put together a list of possible titles and convenors for sessions in any field of the cryospheric sciences (for more information about IACS, see below). We will then develop a more refined version of this list including firmer commitments from convenors by April 2018.

Please send me your initial thoughts on symposia titles and convenors by 31st of October, 2017.

To help guide your thinking I will explain a bit more about IACS and IUGG. IACS covers all cryospheric sciences. Our divisions include (1) snow and avalanches, (2) glaciers and ice sheets, (3) sea ice, lake and river ice, (4) cryosphere, atmosphere and climate, and (5) planetary and other ices of the solar system. The World Glacier Monitoring Service (WGMS http://wgms.ch ) and 'Glacier and Permafrost Hazards in Mountains' (GAPHAZ http://gaphaz.org ) are formally associated with IACS, as are the 'Glacier ice thickness estimation working group' http://www.cryosphericsciences.org/wg_glacierIceThickEst.html and the 'Randolph Glacier Inventory' https://www.glims.org/RGI/ Until recently, IACS also hosted the 'Microsnow' working group http://www.cryosphericsciences.org/wg_microSnow.html

IUGG meetings provide tremendous opportunity to interact with scientists from closely related disciplines. IUGG contains 8 scientific associations, listed below:

  • International Association of Cryospheric Sciences (IACS)
  • International Association of Geodesy (IAG)
  • International Association of Geomagnetism and Aeronomy (IAGA)
  • International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS)
  • International Association of Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences (IAMAS)
  • International Association for the Physical Sciences of the Oceans (IAPSO)
  • International Association of Seismology and Physics of the Earth's Interior (IASPEI)
  • International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's Interior (IAVCEI)

All IACS symposia can be cross-listed to other associations in order to encourage interdisciplinary collaboration.

Please let me know if you have any questions about Montreal 2019 or IACS.

Best wishes, Andrew

PS We will send more specific requests to our membership list. Please become an IACS member - signing up is free of charge http://www.cryosphericsciences.org/membership.html

Andrew N. Mackintosh

Director, Antarctic Research Centre
Secretary General, International Association of Cryospheric Sciences (IACS)
Victoria University of Wellington, PO Box 600 Wellington, New Zealand, 6012
Twitter: @AMacGlac

+64 27 563 6193