IARPC Glaciers and Sea Level meeting

O'Neel, Shad

Dear Colleagues:

I would like to invite you to an exciting set of short talks and discussion focused on the wonderful topic of firn, that will be held on Friday 27 October at 9 am Alaska Time (1 pm Eastern).

This event is hosted by the Interagency Arctic Research Policy Committee (IARPC)  Glaciers & Sea-level Collaboration Team. At this meeting, we have several speakers who have agreed to lead a present and discuss:

Firming up our knowledge of wet firn

Max Stevens – why do we need to know about firn? What is the firn model community up to, and what is needed to drive better models

Kristin Poinar – NASA, Observations and processes in Greenlandic firn

Clement Miege – University of Utah, firn observations and processes in Greenlandic firn

Shad O’Neel – USGS repeat firn coring in Alaska.

We will have time for a discussion with a focus on how models and observations are aligned (or not). What can we do as glaciologists to better inform our understanding of firn processes?

We invite all interested researchers and stakeholders to participate in our meeting on 27 October 2017 at 9:00 AM Alaska Time (1:00 pm EST)

How to participate?

If you don’t already have one, request an account on IARPC Collaborations, where information is shared among the 1000+ members of our research community. Once you have an account,  join our collaboration team and you will automatically be notified of upcoming collaboration team meetings via email. You may also RSVP and view the connection information for our next meeting here.

Why participate in IARPC Collaborations?

IARPC collaboration teams are designed to assist the bi-directional flow of information  between the research community and Federal agencies. Think of it as a regular science workshop, but on an ongoing and monthly basis. For example, researchers present their research to peers and program managers and learn about new research efforts within their field.  Program managers learn about one another’s programs, and identify synergies between programs and programmatic gaps.

Best,

Shad O’Neel and Joe MacGregor – IARPC Glaciers and Sea Level Collaboration Team.

Shad O'Neel
USGS Glaciologist
Alaska Science Center
4210 University Dr.