Quantcast

IARPC Sea Ice Collaboration Team Telecon, Monday, Feb.27, 1 pm EST

IARPC Sea Ice Collaboration Team Telecon, Monday, Feb.27, 1 pm EST

MEIER, WALTER N. (GSFC-6150)

Dear Colleague:

The Interagency Arctic Research Policy Committee (IARPC) is initiating implementation of Arctic Research Plan 2017-2021. I and my colleagues Olivia Lee and Jackie Richter-Menge will be leading the Sea Ice Collaboration Team (SICT), and we invite all interested researchers and stakeholders to participate in our meeting on 27 February at 9 AM Alaska Time (1 pm EST).

At this meeting, Matthew Druckenmiller will deliver a presentation on “The SEARCH Sea Ice Action Team’s ongoing efforts to support Knowledge Exchange”. The Study of Environmental Arctic Change (SEARCH) Sea Ice Action Team aims to advance awareness and understanding of the impacts of Arctic sea-ice loss by enabling collaboration, community engagement, and communication. This update will summarize outcomes from the Action Team's first Knowledge Exchange Workshop in fall 2016, outline upcoming plans to tackle emerging societal questions about sea-ice loss, and discuss how this all fits within the broader activities of SEARCH.

****

How do I participate?

If you don’t already have one, request an account on IARPC Collaborations, where information is shared among the 1000+ members of our research community. Once you have an account,  join our collaboration team and you will automatically be notified of upcoming collaboration team meetings via email. You may also RSVP and view the connection information for our next meeting here.

Why participate in IARPC Collaborations?

While the IARPC Arctic Research Plan is a U.S. Federal government product and responsibility, IARPC recognizes that implementation cannot be accomplished without the research community. Therefore, collaboration teams and the IARPC collaborations website are open to participation by all stakeholders. The IARPC collaboration teams and website has created a new level of transparency in the research endeavor where information is flowing between the community and Federal agencies. Think of it as a regular science workshop, but on an ongoing and monthly basis.

  • Communicate regularly with Federal program managers and the research community. The conversations enabled through IARPC Collaborations have created an unprecedented level of information exchange. The research community benefits from the ongoing, monthly meetings where they can present their research to peers and program managers and learn about new research efforts within their field. Program officers, always eager to learn about research activities and priorities from the community, are able to do so on a regular basis. Program managers learn about one another’s programs, and identify synergies between programs and programmatic gaps.
  • See your research results in reports to Congress and Federal agencies. Reporting on implementation of the Arctic Research Plan goes to the IARPC principals, chaired by the Director of the National Science Foundation and made up of representatives of 14 Federal agencies, and to Congress. Anyone may submit their contributions to our Arctic Research Plan and see their research in these reports.

We hope you will consider participating in SICT meetings, posting information on the website and getting involved in a meaningful way that benefits you and the work you are doing. If you should have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Walt Meier, Research Scientist
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Cryospheric Sciences Lab, Code 615
Greenbelt, MD 20771
Tel: +1-301-614-6572, Fax: +1-301-614-5644
Email: [hidden email]

"If we knew what we were doing, it would not be
called research, would it?" - Albert Einstein