IGS Global Seminar, 11th November, Steve Warren and Kevin Hand

IGS Global Seminar, 11th November, Steve Warren and Kevin Hand

Murray T.

International Glaciological Society Global Seminar Series 2020 #25

WEDNESDAY Nov 11th

Steve Warren University of Washington and Kevin Hand JPL

"Snow spikes in the dry Andes; maybe not on Europa"

You need to register in advance for the seminars, but your registration should last for several seminars. If it was a while ago that you registered - check your link still works and drop me an email if it doesn't. There's a short question to answer - please tell me enough to accept you! I'll be doing that manually, so just be kind and make it obvious (even if I met you once at AGU)… (something like: I'm a PhD student with X... or whatever). Using your official university email address would make my life particularly easy!
https://tinyurl.com/y3tpgxxf
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the seminar. If you attended this week you use the same link next week and don't need to re-register.

• Nov 18th Martyn Tranter and Alex Anesio, Aarhus University, Liane G. Benning, GFZ Potsdam, "Biological Darkening of the Greenland Ice Sheet"
• Nov 25th Daniel Shapero, University of Washington, "A live demo of the glacier flow modeling package icepack"
• Dec 2nd Shin Sugiyama, Hokkaido University, Japan, "Freshwater calving glaciers in Patagonia"
• Dec 9th Agneta Fransson, NPI, Oslo, "Glacial water impacts on the chemical characteristics of sea ice and seawater and ocean acidification in Svalbard fjords"
• Dec 16th, Francisco Navarro, Madrid, "Hiatus of mass losses from Hurd and Johnsons glaciers, Livingston Island, during the regional cooling period 2002-2016 of the Northern Antarctic Peninsula"
• Jan 6th Jay Zwally, ESSIC University of Maryland, "Mass Balance of Antarctic Ice Sheet: Observations 1992 to 2019 and Related Long-Term History."
• Jan 13th Lauren Simkins, University of Virginia, "Landform evidence of persistent subglacial plumbing near grounding lines"
• Jan 20th Adrian Luckman, Swansea University, "Larsen C and Brunt Ice Shelves - ice dynamics, rifts and stuff"
• Jan 27th Regine Hock, University of Oslo, "Assessing and projecting global glacier mass changes"
• Feb 3rd Three shorter talks:
Lavanya Ashokkumar, University of Arizona, “Global sea-level estimates from glaciers”
Jakob Steiner, Utrecht University / ICIMOD(Nepal), “Vertical ice - ice cliffs in Greenland, the Alps and the Himalaya”
Nate Stevens, University of Wisconsin, “tba”
• Feb 10th Mike Wood, JPL
• Feb 17th Beata Csatho, University at Buffalo
• Feb 24th Alex Robel, Georgia Tech
• March 10th Jon Hawkings (Florida State), Martin Tranter (Bristol), Mark Skidmore (Montana State) "Biogeochemistry of ice sheet meltwater: surface, bed and runoff"
• March 17th Three shorter talks:
Maurice van Tiggelen, Utrecht University, “The turbulent but predictable relationship between rough Greenland ice and the atmosphere : the story from a drone, ICESat -2 and several eddy covariance stations“
Lynn Kaluzienski, University of Maine, “Modelling Ross Ice Shelf Sensitivity to Changes at its Western Lateral Margin using the Ice Sheet System Model (ISSM) “
Kate Winter, Northumbria University, “Radar detected englacial sediments“
• March 24th Dustin Schroeder, Stanford, "Paths Forward in Radioglaciology"

• March 31st Drew Christ, University of Vermont, "A multi-million-year-old record of Greenland vegetation and glacial history preserved in sediment beneath 1.4 km of ice at Camp Century"

Seminar times:
London - 9pm
Europe - 10pm
East Coast US - 4pm
West Coast US - 1pm
Delhi (+1) - 1.30am (sorry!)
Tokyo (+1) - 5am
Australia (+1) - 6am
New Zealand (+1) - 8am

The seminar will also be recorded and posted to the Friends of the International Glaciological Society Facebook page after the seminar so that you can watch it afterwards if technology fails or you can't make it! Hope to see you there!