IUGG 2019 session: Advances in glacier and ice cap modelling

IUGG 2019 session: Advances in glacier and ice cap modelling

Harry Zekollari
Dear colleagues,

We cordially invite you to contribute to the following session at the 27th IUGG General Assembly (July 8-18 2019, Montreal, Canada):

C03 - Advances in glacier and ice cap modelling. Convened by Daniel Farinotti, Mathieu Morlighem and Harry Zekollari

Mountain glaciers and ice caps are important freshwater resources for many regions, contribute significantly to present-day sea level rise, and can be a significant source of hazard. Models are needed to project future glacier changes and associated impacts and also to help understanding past changes. This symposium focuses on all aspects of modelling mountain glaciers other than the ice sheets, including but not limited to, the following topics:

  • Coupling of glacier mass balance models with ice flow models;
  • Integration of physical processes, such as subglacial drainage or glacier calving, in existing models;
  • Inverse modelling of subsurface characteristics;
  • Inference of glacier ice thickness from surface measurements.

Studies on all spatial and temporal scales, including future projections are solicited with particular emphasis on a regional-scale studies and high-mountain environments.

We are also very happy to announce our two invited speakers for this session: Fabien Maussion (University of Innsbruck) and Doug Brinkerhoff (University of Montana).

We look forward to seeing you all in Montreal.

Best regards,

Daniel, Mathieu and Harry