Ice sheet-ocean interactions at the AGU Fall meeting

Ice sheet-ocean interactions at the AGU Fall meeting

Armitage, Tom W (334H-Affiliate)

Dear Cryolisters,

We would like to draw your attention to our AGU session (C004): Advances in Ice Sheet-Ocean Interactions: From Measurements to Climate Impacts.

We have confirmed two very exciting invited speakers – Pierre Dutrieux (Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory) and Ginny Catania (University of Texas Austin) – and we encourage your abstract submissions, within the scope of our session proposal:

Description: The mechanisms driving oceanic melt and regulating freshwater discharge at the margins of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets have emerged as critical research areas for understanding and projecting the ice sheets’ contribution to sea level rise and their impact on ocean circulation. However, the complex processes involved, wide range of time/spatial scales, and harsh climate make these uniquely difficult systems to observe and model. We welcome submissions across glaciological and oceanographic disciplines exploiting observational, modelling, or theoretical methods to study ice sheet-ocean interactions. Particularly welcomed are submissions exploiting advances in our satellite remote sensing capabilities (e.g., Sentinel’s, Landsat-8, CryoSat-2 & ICESat). Example topics include: ocean circulation/transformation at ice sheet margins; ice velocity/elevation changes in response to oceanic forcing; ice melt beneath ice shelves and at tidewater glacier margins; bathymetry and glacier observations; climate sensitivity of physical processes controlling ice-ocean interactions; development of coupled ice-ocean numerical models and melt parameterizations.

All the best,

Tom Armitage, Anna Hogg, Fiamma Straneo and Paul Holland

Tom Armitage | Postdoctoral Scholar

Radar Science and Engineering

Jet Propulsion Laboratory

California Institute of Technology