Ice sheet surface mass balance at AGU Fall Meeting

Ice sheet surface mass balance at AGU Fall Meeting

Jan Lenaerts
Dear colleagues,

If you are working on any aspect of ice sheet surface mass balance, please consider submitting your abstract to our AGU Fall Meeting Session C003 - details below.

Thanks!

Indrani, Brice, Luke, and Jan

C003 - Advances in Observing and Modeling Ice Sheet and Ice Shelf Surface Mass Balance: Past, Present, and Future
A reliable estimate of surface mass balance (SMB), including its components, change, and drivers, is pivotal for understanding past, present, and future ice sheet mass balance and sea level change.  Large temporal SMB variability, predominantly driven by snowfall anomalies, challenges the detection of longer-term trends in Antarctic mass balance.  As the atmosphere warms, episodes of pervasive melt are becoming frequent over Greenland Ice Sheet and Antarctic ice shelves.  Melt water can be partly stored in firn, crevasses, surface or buried ponds and rivers, impacting hydrofracture, cryohydrologic warming, firn pore-space depletion, and snow/ice darkening. Our assessment of ice sheet mass balance depends on the accurate representation of these processes in ice sheet and climate models and evaluation using observations.  We invite papers that study processes such as snowfall, snow redistribution, firn densification, meltwater retention, surface water storage and drainage, and albedo, using remote sensing, ground-based measurements, and modeling approaches.

Invited Speakers
Brooke Medley (NASA Goddard)
Kyle Mattingly (University of Georgia)

Conveners
Jan Lenaerts (University of Colorado Boulder)
Luke Trusel (Penn State)
Brice Noël (IMAU, Utrecht University)
Indrani Das (Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory)

Jan Lenaerts
Assistant Professor
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Colorado Boulder
Mail: 311 UCB | Boulder, CO 80309-0311
Phone: +1-303-735-5471
Office:  SEEC N257