IcySea: A new ice information app for operational use in Svalbard.

IcySea: A new ice information app for operational use in Svalbard.

Alexandra Stocker
To all working with or in ice covered oceans in Svalbard,

We are happy to start 2021 with the announcement of the new ice information app IcySea (https://icysea.app)! It was developed within a Copernicus Marine Environment Monitoring Service (=CMEMS) user uptake project and provides operational sea ice concentration, drift forecasts and Sentinel1 images around Svalbard. The IcySea App is designed for low-bandwidth connections and therefore for usage in the field or on board a ship. You have the choice to select smaller tiles of interest for Sentinel1 images and optional in low-resolution only. Sea-ice concentration is being updated up to 8 times a day, depending on location. You can also know the age of the Sentinel1 data tiles that you have selected.

Are you planning a research cruise around Svalbard soon? Then we recommend you to try out IcySea, thanks to the financing of the Copernicus Marine Service, the registration and usage remains free for 2021: https://icysea.app/