International Glaciological Society Global Seminar #24, Richard Alley

International Glaciological Society Global Seminar #24, Richard Alley

Murray T.

International Glaciological Society Global Seminar Series 2020 #24

WEDNESDAY Oct 21st

Richard Alley, Penn State University

"Here be dragons… exploring the long tail of sea-level rise"

You need to register in advance for the seminars, but your registration should last for several seminars. If it was a while ago that you registered - check your link still works and drop me an email if it doesn't. There's a short question to answer - please tell me enough to accept you! I'll be doing that manually, so just be kind and make it obvious (even if I met you once at AGU)… (something like: I'm a PhD student with X... or whatever). Using your official university email address would make my life particularly easy!

https://tinyurl.com/y2ppofcy

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the seminar. If you attended this week you use the same link next week and don't need to re-register. Please be careful with the seminar times over the next few weeks – in case summer time etc changes impact! Thanks!

• Oct 28th Isabella Velicogna, UC Irvine, "Ice sheet mass balance, sea level and equity, diversity and inclusion in science"

• Nov 4th Reserved for 3 x ECR talks

• Nov 11th Steve Warren, University of Washington, "Snow spikes in the dry Andes; maybe not on Europa"

• Nov 18th Martyn Tranter and Alex Anesio, Aarhus University, Liane G. Benning, GFZ Potsdam, "Biological Darkening of the Greenland Ice Sheet"

• Nov 25th David Shapero, University of Washington, "A live demo of the glacier flow modeling package icepack"

• Dec 2nd Shin Sugiyama, Hokkaido University, Japan, "Freshwater calving glaciers in Patagonia"

• Dec 9th Agneta Fransson, NPI, Oslo, title tba.

• Dec 16th, Francisco Navarro, Madrid, "Hiatus of mass losses from Hurd and Johnsons glaciers, Livingston Island, during the regional cooling period 2002-2016 of the Northern Antarctic Peninsula"

• Jan 6th Jay Zwally, ESSIC University of Maryland, "Mass Balance of Antarctic Ice Sheet: Observations 1992 to 2019 and Related Long-Term History."

• Jan 13th Lauren Simkins, University of Virginia, "Landform evidence of persistent subglacial plumbing near grounding lines"

• Jan 20th Adrian Luckman, Swansea University, title tba.

• Jan 27th Regine Hock, University of Oslo

• Feb 3rd Reserved for 3 ECR talks

• Feb 10th Mike Wood, JPL

• Feb 17th Beata Csatho, University at Buffalo

• March 17th Reserved for 3 ECR talks

• March 24th Dustin Schroeder, Stanford, "Paths Forward in Radioglaciology"

Seminar times:

London - 9pm

Europe - 10pm

East Coast US - 4pm

West Coast US - 1pm

Delhi (+1) - 1.30am (sorry!)

Tokyo (+1) - 5am

Australia (+1) - 6am

New Zealand (+1) - 8am

The seminar will also be recorded and posted to the Friends of the International Glaciological Society Facebook page after the seminar so that you can watch it afterwards if technology fails or you can't make it! Hope to see you there!