International Glaciological Society Global Seminar Series 2020 #22; WEDNESDAY Sept 30th - Three shorter talks from ECRs

International Glaciological Society Global Seminar Series 2020 #22; WEDNESDAY Sept 30th - Three shorter talks from ECRs

Murray T.

International Glaciological Society Global Seminar Series 2020  #22

WEDNESDAY Sept 30th - Three shorter talks from ECRs

William Harcourt, University of St. Andrews, “New opportunities for glacier mapping using millimetre-wave radar”

Michalea King, Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center, " Nonuniform response of Greenland Outlet glaciers to seasonal meltwater working "

Lauren Vargo, University of Wellington, " Anthropogenic warning forces extreme annual glacier mass loss"

You need to register in advance for the seminars, but your registration should last for several seminars. If it was a while ago that you registered - check your link still works and drop me an email if it doesn't. There's a short question to answer - please tell me enough to accept you! I'll be doing that manually, so just be kind and make it obvious (even if I met you once at AGU)… (something like: I'm a PhD student with X... or whatever). Using your official university email address would make my life particularly easy!

https://swanseauniversity.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUqfuirrzouG9C5Dj7FfLjpsy3cINaVRWK6

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the seminar. If you attended this week you use the same link next week and don't need to re-register.

• Oct 7th Fiamma Straneo, Scripps, UCSD, U.S.A., "Ahoy Captain is that a glacier up ahead? Lessons learned from working at Greenland's marine margins"

• Oct 14th Ellyn Enderlin, Boise State University, USA, "Exploring controls on glacier dynamics: What remotely-sensed iceberg calving, submarine melting, and frontal ablation datasets tell us about ocean forcing"

• Oct 21st Richard Alley, Penn State University, USA, "Here be dragons… exploring the long tail of sea-level rise"

• Oct 28th Isabella Velicogna, UC Irvine, "Ice sheet mass balance, sea level and equity, diversity and inclusion in science"

• Nov 4th Reserved for 3 x ECR talks

• Nov 11th Steve Warren, University of Washington, "Snow spikes in the dry Andes; maybe not on Europa"

• Nov 18th Martyn Tranter and Alex Anesio, Aarhus University, Liane G. Benning, GFZ Potsdam, "Biological Darkening of the Greenland Ice Sheet"

• Nov 25th David Shapero, University of Washington, "A live demo of the glacier flow modeling package icepack"

• Dec 2nd Shin Sugiyama, Hokkaido University, Japan, "Freshwater calving glaciers in Patagonia"

• Dec 9th Agneta Fransson, NPI, Oslo, title tba.

• Dec 16th, Francisco Navarro, Madrid, "Hiatus of mass losses from Hurd and Johnsons glaciers, Livingston Island, during the regional cooling period 2002-2016 of the Northern Antarctic Peninsula"

• Jan 13th Lauren Simkins, University of Virginia, "Landform evidence of persistent subglacial plumbing near grounding lines"

• Jan 20th Adrian Luckman, Swansea University, title tba.

• Jan 27th Regine Hock, University of Oslo

• Feb 3rd Reserved for 3 ECR talks

• March 24th Dustin Schroeder, Stanford, "Paths Forward in Radioglaciology"

Seminar times:

London - 9pm

Europe - 10pm

East Coast US - 4pm

West Coast US - 1pm

Delhi (+1) - 1.30am (sorry!)

Tokyo (+1) - 5am

Australia (+1) - 6am

New Zealand (+1) - 8am

The seminar will also be recorded and posted to the Friends of the International Glaciological Society Facebook page after the seminar so that you can watch it afterwards if technology fails or you can't make it! Hope to see you there!