Invitation to Surface Mass Balance/Snow Accumulation Working Group meeting Sept 20-21, 2012

Invitation to Surface Mass Balance/Snow Accumulation Working Group meeting Sept 20-21, 2012

Richard R Forster

Hello,

We would like to extend and open invitation to the community to attend a Surface Mass Balance/Snow Accumulation Working Group meeting September 20-21, 2012 at Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD.  This working group meeting is being convened at the direction of the NASA Cryospheric Sciences Program to asses current satellite algorithms/methods, models and measurements and to recommend future directions to improve calculations of surface mass balance over the ice sheets and snow accumulation on sea ice.   It will be the ultimate goal of this working group to improve spatial and temporal estimates of surface mass balance on ice sheets and snow accumulation on sea ice.

Prior to the meeting we will ask you to participate in preparatory topic based telecons to ensure a productive meeting.  The first day of the meeting will be devoted to short presentations followed by discussion and the second day will be devoted to drafting a paper outlining the status, including strengths and weaknesses, of existing measurements, modeling and remote sensing methods.   The questions that we would like to address at the first meeting are:

  How well do we need to constrain SMB on ice sheets and snow accumulation on sea ice and on what time scales?

  What are the strengths and weaknesses of current remote sensing methods and in what regions are they working best?

  What are the strengths and weaknesses of modeled fields of surface mass balance over the ice sheets and snow accumulation on sea ice and in what regions are model’s performing well?

  Where are current field measurements and where do we need additional field measurements? Which field methodologies are proving most accurate?

Please mark your calendar for these dates (September 20-21, 2012 at Goddard Space Flight Center) and let us know if you will be attending.

Sincerely,

 Lora Koenig, Rick Forster, Jason Box and Nathan Kurtz

Organizing Committee

Richard R. Forster

Professor

Department of Geography