ICIMOD is a regional knowledge development and learning centre serving the eight regional member countries of the Hindu Kush-Himalayas (HKH) – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan. The centre is working to develop an economically and environmentally sound mountain ecosystem to improve the living standards of mountain populations -– now, and for the future.
· apply glacio-hydrological models for the study sites using snow and glacier melt runoff models, downscale climate change scenarios, and apply the scenarios to assess water availability at the sub-basin scale;
· provide insight on the effects of climate changes on the cryosphere, their implications for downstream water availability, and what such changes may mean to society in general and people’s livelihoods in particular; and assist on analysis of water availability scenarios on the sub-basin scale;
· contribute to the design and implementation of national and regional training courses, workshops, and seminars related to the project; contribute in establishing hydrological and meteorological observatories in the study sites, operate those observatories, and manage the observational data;
· design and participate in field missions and research programmes as and when necessary, most often in collaboration with national partners for hydro-meteorological stations establishment, maintenance and operation.
· Postgraduate academic degree, M.Sc. or Ph.D., in glacio-hydrology with a minimum of 5 years of varied experience in glacio-hydrology, snow and glacier melting and programming skills
· Good knowledge on establishing, operating, and maintaining hydrological and meteorological instruments in a high-altitude environment and on managing and analysing hydro-meteorological data; knowledge of geographic information systems and remote sensing
· Good insight on processes, methodologies, tools, techniques, and findings related to climate change and glacio-hydrology in the region and globally
· Knowledge of Global Circulation Model (GCM) outputs applicable for the HKH region and of downscaling of climate scenarios
· Ability to prepare project proposals, progress reports, etc. for submission to ICIMOD’s sponsors; skills in project planning, negotiation and assessment
· Experience and ease in working with multidisciplinary teams, particularly with international or regional agencies, and in working with colleagues and collaborators of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Duty Station: The duty station is Kathmandu; frequent travelling in the region may be required.
For more information on ICIMOD and about the position please visit our website www.icimod.org . Applicants are requested to apply before 29 January 2012 through ICIMOD’s Online Application System: www.icimod.org/vacancies .
Only short- listed candidates will be notified.
You're subscribed to the CRYOLIST mailing list
To change your subscription options, visit http://cryolist.org/
To send a message to the list, email [hidden email]
For posting guidelines, see http://cryolist.org/posting/
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|