John Nye 1923–2019

Magnus Magnusson

Dear Cryolist members

It is with a very heavy heart that I inform you that our esteemed colleague and a giant within the field of Glaciology, John Nye, died last week on the 8 January. He would have become 96 next month.

John joined the IGS back in 1950 and was thus our second oldest member. He just renewed his membership for 2019.

John served the IGS in many ways, most notably as its President for the period 1966–1969. He was awarded the Seligman Crystal in 1969.

We will post more information as we get it and of course we will publish a full obituary for John both online and in our newsletter, ICE.

On our website is a link to THE Nye lecture that John gave at the IGS British Branch meeting in Bristol in 2014.

All the best

Magnús

Magnús Már Magnússon

Secretary General

International Glaciological Society

High Cross

Madingley Road

Cambridge CB3 0ET

United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1223 355 974

Fax: +44 (0)1223 358 334

E-Mail: [hidden email] or [hidden email]

Web: http://www.igsoc.org/