Joint PhD Studentship BAS/University of Cambridge in Grounding-Line Dynamics

Joint PhD Studentship BAS/University of Cambridge in Grounding-Line Dynamics

Hindmarsh, Richard C.A.

BAS anticipates a studentship in the following topic in 2012 (subject to funding)

Fluid-mechanical laboratory investigations of ice-sheet grounding line dynamics

Supervisors: Richard Hindmarsh (British Antarctic Survey); M . Grae Worster (Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, Cambridge University)

Much of the ice in West Antarctica is grounded below bedrock, and begins to float, forming ice shelves, at the grounding line. A major concern is that a sheet–shelf system could, under appropriate conditions, become dynamically unstable with the grounding line receding catastrophically, releasing large quantities of ice into the ocean. There  is no universally agreed mechanical description of the grounding line, and the ones that are practicable for predictive work involve assumptions that require testing. More computer simulations will consequently not address the fundamental fluid dynamical issue, creating an opportunity for laboratory resolution, still an important arbiter in geophysical fluid dynamical issues. Having established fundamental physical principles, we shall develop mathematical models of glacial systems

DAMTP have conducted a series of laboratory experiments in which fundamental processes relating to ice sheets, ice shelves and grounding lines between them can be explored. The experiments use simple fluids (syrup and Xanthan gum as analogues for ice, salt solutions for the ocean), which have the great advantage that their rheology is well understood. We can therefore make robust quantitative comparisons between defined and measurable quantities from our experiments and our associated mathematical analyses. The project will directly compare computer models with laboratory experiments addressing grounding line motion. We expect validation of the models, insights into significant processes and guides to field experiments and observations that could confirm our understanding.  The student will work on three related tasks: running fluid mechanical experiments in the DAMTP laboratories; developing computational and mathematical descriptions; and using geophysical data to understand grounding line processes.

The student should have at least a 2:1 in Mathematics or a Physical Science degree. The student will receive training in fluid mechanical laboratory techniques, fluid dynamics and geophysical data analysis, and will also be encouraged to attend summer schools. The studentship is expected to last 3.5 years from October 2012 subject to NERC funding.  Applications for this anticipated studentship should be addressed to Richard C.A. Hindmarsh,  include a covering letter, CV and the e-mail address of two referees and sent to [hidden email]  Please quote reference number BASDTG/hind/3. Closing date for applications: 31st January 2012. Stipend for 2011/2012 was £13,590 p.a.  For more information see http://www.nerc.ac.uk/funding/available/postgrad/awards/ and for eligibility go to http://www.nerc.ac.uk/funding/available/postgrad/eligibility.asp

For further details about the British Antarctic Survey please see: http://www.antarctica.ac.uk

Richard C.A. Hindmarsh

Science Programmes

British Antarctic Survey

High Cross

Madingley Road

Cambridge CB3 0ET

+44-1223-221495

R: Joint PhD Studentship BAS/University of Cambridge in Grounding-Line Dynamics

Guglielmin Mauro
Dear colleagues

Could you circulate the following advertisment of the next SCAR OSC on Permafrost and periglacial environemnets.
Thanks
Mauro Guglielmin

Dear Friends and colleagues,

In the behalf of the SCAR Expert Group on Permafrost, Soils and Periglacial Environments (ANTPAS), we invite you to submit an abstract for the next SCAR Open Science Conference that will be held in Portland (USA) from 16 to 19 July 2012. The deadline for abstract submission is 15 February 2012.

We know that this year is quite busy for permafrost researchers and  that many of us will be at the Tenth International Conference on Permafrost (TICOP) a few weeks before the SCAR Meeting. However, we think that for the development of Antarctic Permafrost Research, the SCAR conference is a very important venue to establish new initiatives, develop contacts and collaborations.

ANTPAS session "Antarctic Permafrost, Periglacial and Ice-Free Environments (nr 19)" is open to oral and poster presentations related to permafrost, the overlying active layer and related landforms and ecosystems, characterizing the ice-free areas of Antarctica. A meeting of the Expert Group ANTPAS with a focus on future activities will take place before or after the conference. Date and agenda will be anounced soon.

The abstracts (maximum 2500 characters) should be sent directly to the Organizing Committee following the instructions of the conference website (http://scar2012.geol.pdx.edu/).

If you are interested in participating, please send to us the title (even if provisional) and the authorships of your paper, and your preference for oral or poster, before 15 February 2012.

Sincerely ,

Prof. Mauro Guglielmin

[hidden email]

Prof. Gonçalo Vieira

[hidden email]

Prof. Zhao Lin

[hidden email]

Prof. Ph.D. Mauro Guglielmin
Associate Professor of Physical Geography and Geomorphology
DBSF, Insubria University
Via J.H. Dunant, 21100,
Varese Italy
Phone + 39 0332 412412