Last reminder: AGU2018 session on AMOC structure, variability, and impact on biogeochemistry (PP025)

Last reminder: AGU2018 session on AMOC structure, variability, and impact on biogeochemistry (PP025)

Feng He
Dear Colleagues,

Apology for any cross-postings. This is a last reminder to contribute to our AGU session on “AMOC structure and changes in the past”. We have two exciting invited contributions by Davd Thornalley and Jean Lynch-Stieglitz.

We are seeking for other contributions that advance our understanding of the complex spatial structure and temporal variations of past AMOC from both empirical and modeling studies. In addition, contributions that uncover subsequent AMOC impact on ocean biogeochemistry are highly welcomed as well.

The deadline for abstract submission is  next week 1st of August.

Full description of the sessions can be found at the end of this e-mail  and also here:
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Session/49492

Looking forward to see many of you,

Jerry Tjiputra and Feng He

PP025: Mechanisms and drivers of Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC) structure and variability in past climate change and their impact on climate and biogeochemistry

Session description:
The AMOC influences surface temperature and precipitation patterns around the globe by regulating the transport of heat, freshwater and carbon. The AMOC – e.g. its overall strength, the contributions of different water masses and the locations where deep waters are formed and ventilated - have varied significantly in the past, impacting not only North Atlantic climate but also other regions through both atmospheric and oceanic teleconnections. The mechanisms leading to these
changes in AMOC are still poorly constrained. Our ability to predict anthropogenic climate change, therefore, depends critically on our understanding of AMOC structure, variability and sensitivity to past climate changes. This session aims to bring together paleoproxy records (e.g., d13C, 231Pa/230Th, and εNd, among others), modelling studies, as well as novel methodologies that combine both approaches, to characterize the spatial structure and temporal variability of the AMOC
on all timescales and advance our understanding of its impact on climate and biogeochemistry.

Index Terms
1616 Climate variability
1626 Global climate models
4901 Abrupt/rapid climate change
4912 Biogeochemical cycles, processes, and modeling

Cheers,

Feng He
Associate Scientist
Center for Climatic Research
Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies
University of Wisconsin - Madison
http://faculty.nelson.wisc.edu/fenghe/Welcome.html