Looking for someone who has plan to collect cores in Alaska in Spring

Looking for someone who has plan to collect cores in Alaska in Spring

Ji Young Jung
Dear all,

I’m Ji Young Jung, a post-doc working at Korea Polar Research Institute.  We’re studying microbial diversity in arctic regions. We have been trying to get soil cores to the permafrost layer, but we haven’t succeeded. Thus, we would like to learn how to get soil cores and some sampling tips in the field by observing and participating in any field trip occurring in Alaska.

If some of you are planning to collect soil cores for a 1-m depth  (2-3 meter would be better!) in Alaska during this spring (March to June), could you let me know whether one of us can participate in your trip to learn soil coring? We will bring our SIPRI corer to check whether it works.  I sincerely hope to find some people collecting cores and learn how to do.

Thank you very much.

Hope to hear from some of you back.

Best regards,

Ji Young Jung

Ji Young Jung

Post Doctoral Scientist
Division of Life Sciences
Korea Polar Research Institute (KOPRI)

Get-Pearl Tower, Songdo Techno Park,
12 Gaetbeol-ro, Yeonsu-gu, Incheon 460-840
South Korea

Phone     +82-32-260-6346
Fax          +82-32-260-6301
E-mail
[hidden email]
Web
http://www.kopri.re.kr

Fungal spores in ice cores

Porter, Philip R

Dear colleagues

I wanted to ask if anyone in the community has available any northern hemisphere ice cores from which it would be possible to obtain segments of ice to extract fungal spores? This enquiry is on behalf of a colleague – the quantity of ice required per sample would need to be sufficient to produce approximately 1 litre of meltwater and ideally a sample once every 10-25 years or so down the core would be needed (although whether this time resolution/1 litre of melt is possible will depend on accumulation rates amongst other things), back to about 200 years BP.

Having said this, it would also be useful to have access to recent shallow cores in order to test the spore extraction techniques being proposed.

I would also be interested to talk generally with anyone who has worked on fungal spores in ice cores previously.

If anyone can help please could you contact me on [hidden email] or using the contact details below.

With thanks and best wishes, Phil.

Dr P R Porter

Senior Lecturer in Physical Geography

School of Life Sciences