MSNBC producer seeking help identifying a glacier

MSNBC producer seeking help identifying a glacier

Ashe, Elizabeth (NBCUniversal)
Hello-

I'm working on a MSNBC program called 'Caught on Camera' and I'm, rather desperately, trying to track down information about a clip of a glacier falling and sending a wave up onto some tourists. It appears to have become one of these pieces of video that made its way onto the internet with very little trace of where it came from.  I wondered if you might know anything about this incident; where it might have occured, when, any leads at all would be very helpful. I've pasted a link below for your reference. Please feel free to call or email at this address with any information.

Many thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

All the best,

Lizzie Ashe

Producer
MSNBC's Caught on Camera

917.716.6829
30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY 10112

Re: MSNBC producer seeking help identifying a glacier

Javier G. Corripio
Hi Elizabeth,

That's the Miage Glacier on the Italian side of Mont Blanc (about 45.78N, 6.89E)

There is a RAI video here:

I saw it the first time at one Alpine Glaciology Meeting, you may contact Guglielmina  Diolaiuti, I think she may know about it.  The Milan glaciology growp is being working there for a long time:

Best,

Javier

On 7 Jun, 2011, at 12:18 AM, Ashe, Elizabeth (NBCUniversal) wrote:

[...]

ihowat
Lizzie,

It's most likely Miage Glacier in the Italian Alps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miage_Glacier

That tsunami occurred in 1996.

Here's a photo of the calving face:

http://www.fotolibra.com/gallery/207854/miage-glacier-01/

The scree slope on the left is probably where the tsunami hit and I
know this is a popular hiking area.

Cheers,
Ian Howat, Ohio State Univ.

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Ashe, Elizabeth (NBCUniversal)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello-
>
> I'm working on a MSNBC program called 'Caught on Camera' and I'm, rather
> desperately, trying to track down information about a clip of a glacier
> falling and sending a wave up onto some tourists. It appears to have become
> one of these pieces of video that made its way onto the internet with very
> little trace of where it came from.  I wondered if you might know
> anything about this incident; where it might have occured, when, any leads
> at all would be very helpful. I've pasted a link below for your reference.
> Please feel free to call or email at this address with any information.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq_pg5gi2PI
>
> Many thanks for your time, I appreciate it.
>
> All the best,
>
> Lizzie Ashe
>

> Producer
> MSNBC's Caught on Camera
>
> 917.716.6829
> 30 Rockefeller Plaza
> New York, NY 10112

Re: MSNBC producer seeking help identifying a glacier

Frank Paul

Dear Lizzie Ashe

Please find further information on that accident here:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1464189599000125

and more images from the lake and the glacier here:
http://www.swisseduc.ch/glaciers/alps/miage/index-de.html

With kind regards, Frank Paul (University of Zurich)