MSc/PhD opportunities in paleoglaciology, paleohydrology and Quaternary environmental change

MSc/PhD opportunities in paleoglaciology, paleohydrology and Quaternary environmental change

Tracy Brennand

MSc/PhD opportunities in paleoglaciology, paleohydrology and Quaternary environmental change

Opportunities: Up to two graduate student positions in paleoglaciology and paleohydrology are available to start in Fall 2011 at Simon Fraser University, British Columbia, Canada. Research in the Paleoglaciology Lab (http://www.sfu.ca/paleoglaciology/index.htm) at Simon Fraser University is aimed at 1) enhancing our understanding of past ice sheet dynamics and hydrology in order to better predict the behaviour of present day ice sheets, 2) building our knowledge of Quaternary environmental change in Canada, and 3) applying this knowledge to assist in the inventory and management of Canada's natural resources (e.g., groundwater, aggregates, minerals). There are a number of specific research projects available (http://www.sfu.ca/paleoglaciology/opportunities.htm) but students are also encouraged to develop their own projects within the broader thematic areas of my research program (http://www.sfu.ca/paleoglaciology/research.htm).

Qualifications: Applicants should be highly-motivated, with a solid background in Quaternary geology/geomorphology and/or paleoglaciology and/or GIS and of excellent academic standing.  You should also have experience in, or a desire to learn, sedimentology, topographic surveying, digital terrain analysis, aerial photograph interpretation, shallow geophysical techniques, paleohydrology and/or geochronology depending on the project. Physical fitness, and prior backcountry and/or field work experience will be considered an asset in field-based projects.

Funding: Guaranteed funding for masters and doctoral students is available through a combination of scholarships, research assistantships, grants and teaching assistantships; externally-funded students are encouraged to apply.

Application: Interested students are encouraged to contact me as soon as possible via email ([hidden email]) and to send a CV/resume, an unofficial copy of university transcripts, and a brief statement of scientific interests. For official application instructions please consult the Department of Geography Graduate Program website (http://www.sfu.ca/geography/GraduateStudies.html). The deadline for applications from students wishing to enter our graduate program in Fall 2011 is January 15th 2011.

Tracy Brennand

--
Tracy A Brennand, PhD
Associate Professor (Geomorphology)