MSc(Res) Polar and Alpine Change (Department of Geography, University of Sheffield, UK)

MSc(Res) Polar and Alpine Change (Department of Geography, University of Sheffield, UK)

Darrel A Swift
Dear all,

Please kindly send on this advertisement to final-year students in your department or university!

MSc(Res) Polar and Alpine Change
Department of Geography, University of Sheffield, UK

I write with information about this 1-year Masters of Research (MSc(Res)) course offered by our university, which may interest applicants looking for Masters-level research training within the broad subject area of cold-region science. Possible research areas include alpine and ice sheet glaciology, glacial or cold-regions geomorphology, polar or alpine climatology, dating of cold-region landforms (e.g. using luminescence or OSL thermochronology), long-term cold-region landscape evolution, or any other aspect of cold-region science.

The programme targets those wishing to gain research experience and skills before progressing to a PhD, and is founded on the expertise of the group of Ice and Climate Researchers in my department. Training is delivered via a major Research Project that the student carries out with regular supervision. Another key feature of the programme is a Field-Course module visiting Svalbard, Norway for 4-5 weeks in the summer.

We invite applicants who perform at least at good Upper-Second Class undergraduate level (and show First Class potential) from a UK University, or with an international equivalent, in subjects such as Physical Geography, Environmental / Earth / Ocean Sciences, Geology, Physics, and Natural Science. Applicants are asked to show evidence of engagement with and/or aptitude in geoscientific research.

A great many of our graduates from the former MSc version of the course have moved on successfully to PhD studies in glaciology, climate science, biogeochemistry, and planetary science.

Our next Open Day is on Friday 28th April 2017 and the application round for 2017/18 entry is open.

Details of the course can be found at: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/geography/masters/polarandalpinechange

Please email [hidden email] if you wish to attend the Open Day or follow the link on the following page to book onto the open day online:

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/geography/masters

Best wishes,
Darrel Swift, Director, MSc(Res) in Polar and Alpine Change

--
Dr Darrel A Swift FRGS
Lecturer in Geoscience

Associate Editor:
Geografiska Annaler: Series A, Physical Geography
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/118504788/home

ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5320-5104
Google Scholar: https://goo.gl/LXg7vq