NSF involvement in investigations of harassment in remote field locations

NSF involvement in investigations of harassment in remote field locations

Rosenheim, Brad

Hello everyone  -

I have created a petition to ask the US NSF to increase their involvement in the investigation of harassment incidences in remote fieldwork areas that are run by NSF.  The issue stems from the fact that they expect universities to investigate complaints filed by their employees, however these investigative bodies are designed around happenings in dormitories and classrooms on campus space.  Asking universities to investigate what happens in Antarctic field camps (or any remote field locations for that matter) spreads resources thin, guarantees long investigative times and numerous misunderstandings, and fails to protect scientists and technicians from retaliation through review processes.

I think that NSF needs to hear our voice on this matter. I hope you will take a minute to look over the petition and consider signing it and passing it along.   Whereas it is written for Antarctic research, it can be applied to any remote field operations.

http://bit.ly/2B3tA24

There is a username and password required to prevent hackers from hijacking the website.  They are on the left side of the page and can be pasted into the fields.

Thank you,

Brad

Brad E. Rosenheim
Associate Professor