New Episode of The IcePod ❄ "The Weather Man" with Robert Hausen (German Weather Service)

New Episode of The IcePod ❄ "The Weather Man" with Robert Hausen (German Weather Service)

Kirstin Werner
Dear Cryolisters,

For the seventh episode of The IcePod, we met with Robert Hausen who works as a forecaster for the German Weather Service (DWD) and joined leg 3 of the MOSAiC expedition.

Since Robert was a kid, he always waited for the snow to fall and grew up wondering about all kinds of weather phenomena. And this is where he ended up: Polarstern. MOSAiC has been his first Arctic cruise while Robert usually sails the Antarctic seas. This actually qualified him to take part in the coldest leg that MOSAiC could offer its participants.

Part of his job aboard Polarstern was to inform people every day at 8 am about how the weather will be like that day. For that, Robert had to look at different weather forecasts and choose the one that fits the best to ... well, we're not telling you but go listen to the episode!

Eventually, he was rewarded with a helicopter flight across the Arctic sea ice. This might have also consoled him for not being able to be back in Germany for his daughter's birthday end of April – leg 3 of MOSAiC was also the longest leg due to the rearrangements caused by the Corona pandemic. Another highlight for him was the crusted lamb that was served to the science team and crew on Easter Sunday. With Robert, we debunk some weather myths: Sheepy clouds don't actually bring rain, and red skies are not always foreteller of good weather.

Find the new and all previous IcePod episodes e.g. on Spotify, Apple Podcast, Castbox (no sign-up needed) or on our website theicepodcast.home.blog

If you miss the music, find the very special playlist for the episode on Spotify.

The episode with music is also played at https://www.medialabnord.de/radio-livestream/ (Bremen) on

Saturday, 14 November 2020, 9–11 am UTC (10 am–12 pm CEST)

Sunday, 22 November 2020, 11 am–1 pm UTC (12–2 pm CEST)

For updates and other materials, check also our website: theicepodcast.home.blog

---
The IcePod is the podcast about polar science and the people. We’ll talk to scientists who went on board Polarstern, the German research icebreaker, for the biggest research expedition in the Arctic. It is produced in collaboration with the Alfred Wegener Institute and Radio Weser.TV where the full episode with music will be played at www.medialabnord.de/radio-livestream/. For dates check back with [hidden email].

Editorial responsibility: Kirstin Werner and Sara Pasqualetto

Best wishes,
Kirstin
Dr. Kirstin Werner
Year of Polar Prediction (YOPP) International Coordination Office
Alfred Wegener Institute
Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research
Bussestrasse 24
D-27570 Bremerhaven
Germany

phone: +49 (0)471-4831-1588