New online Virtual Earth System Laboratory (VESL). Sims, data, pubs based on the Ice Sheet System Model (ISSM).

New online Virtual Earth System Laboratory (VESL). Sims, data, pubs based on the Ice Sheet System Model (ISSM).

Larour, Eric (329C)

Dear Scientists,

We invite you to visit our new, online Virtual Earth System Laboratory (VESL), where we host interactive simulations, data, and publications based on the Ice Sheet System Model (ISSM). VESL currently features models for selected regional Glaciers, continental Ice Sheets, Sea-Level Change, and Solid-Earth Deformation, all accessible through our web-based graphical interface, and run efficiently on the JPL cloud, allowing for fully responsive, interactive website design and short model run times.

Each model interface allows easy user control over inputs, runs a full-fledged ISSM instance in the background, and features a domain and model set-up based on existing recent publications.  With this framework, we aim to bring state-of-the-art modeling to a broader community of scientists, policy makers, educators, and interested lay-users.

As an example, we are showcasing a new Solid-Earth simulation, based on a study by Caron et al. (2018), examining Glacio-Isostatic Adjustment (GIA) reconstructions from the last glacial maximum to the present day. The publication and original data are downloadable directly, but we also provide interactive graphical rendering of coastline and ice sheet evolution spanning the last 20,000 years.

While VESL is currently a work in progress, our long term goal is to provide 4 branches of the site with content and features geared specifically for the public, researchers, K-12 educational applications, and eventually (as models currently still in development evolve) policy applications. Future K-12 educational content is already being developed and used in glacier science outreach by local team members and by colleagues at Earth and Space Research in Seattle, WA.

We hope you will enjoy our team results, and this new way of presenting our research. Feel free to send us your feedback, as we always appreciate improving on this new tool!

Best,

The VESL team ([hidden email])