Ocean modeller position at the University of Helsinki

Ocean modeller position at the University of Helsinki

Petteri Uotila
Postdoctoral research scientist, ocean modelling

University of Helsinki, Finland

42,960 to 46,944€ per annum

As part of a new Academy of Finland project “The impact of Antarctic Ice Sheet - Southern Ocean interactions on marine ice sheet stability and ocean circulation”, we are announcing a postdoctoral research scientist position at the Institute for Atmospheric and Earth System Research (INAR), University of Helsinki. The project is a collaboration between the Arctic Centre of the University of Lapland, CSC - IT Center for Science and INAR. The consortium leader is Professor John Moore.

Our Coupled Ocean and Land ice Dynamics (COLD) consortium will both develop and apply existing state-of-the-art modelling tools, together with recent observations, to investigate ice sheet -- subglacial hydrology -- ocean cavity interactions and patterns of change in both landward and seaward directions. We will examine ocean processes governing heat transport to the ice shelves, and ask how Antarctic marginal processes impact large-scale ocean dynamics. We will address Antarctic Ice Sheet stability and its contribution to sea level. We will quantify the wider impacts of Antarctic marginal processes over the coming century in a changing climate.

The postdoctoral research scientist position involves ocean modelling in the Framework for Ice Sheet - Ocean Coupling (FISOC) with models such as ROMS, FVCOM or NEMO. Experience in programming (e.g. Fortran, Python), computer simulations and data analysis is essential. The candidate should have a PhD in physical oceanography or equivalent experience.

The full time post is available from 1 September 2019 and is for a fixed term of period of up to 4 years.

Applications should be sent to Petteri Uotila ([hidden email]) and should consist of a CV, publication list, and names and contact details of 2 references.

Closing date: 20 August 2019

--
Prof. Petteri Uotila
Geophysics of the hydrosphere